Maker Pro
Maker Pro

audio glove ... project ... thing

Savannahhh

Dec 15, 2015
Hi. Soooo imagine that I wanted to make a glove that plays different audio files depending on which fingers are touching. Like pointer and thumb play one file. Middle and thumb play a different one. It'd be great to have a clearer idea of what stuff I should be focusing my epistemic efforts on. : ) If someone could nudge me in the right direction or maybe throw some key words at me, that'd be fantastic.

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
Food for thought: Kinect, gesture recognition

This would enable the use of gestures without a physical glove. There is PC software available for the Kinect and there are other gesture recognition systems around.

Unless, of course, it HAS to be a glove.... then you need touch sensors embedded in the glove at strategic points.

Savannahhh

Dec 15, 2015
Hi. That thought was delicious. You gotta give me the recipe. : ) But it must be mobile. Must! Touch sensors. Yes. Attached to wires, which are attached to ... something. I don't know how to think about it, haha.

D

Deleted member 42405

Jan 1, 1970
Makey Makey plugged into a computer.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
You can use flex and pressure sensors.
This will let you determine the position of the fingers even if they are not touching... and a resistive 'force' or pressure sensor on the tip of each finger will let you know when they touch something.
The Xbox sensor trick would require a bit more tinkering... it's resolution is not good enough for finger gestures, and it's focus is out if you move too close... but you can adjust it to work close enough which would solve both problems.
Additionally, there are other sensors available but all of them appear to require a lot of processing power for image recognition or complex math to map and watch fingers...
Stick with the sensors and it will make your journey much easier.

Savannahhh

Dec 15, 2015
There goes the "mAKEY mAKEY" and any other computers... Unless an arm/back pack full of rechargeables is an option!

Martin
Is it really that different from toys that make noise? Those don't require backpacks full of rechargeables. I don't think so, anyway. I could be wrong. : )

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
look here: http://www.embedded.com/design/real...ng-wearable-electronics-with-microcontrollers

and then keep looking and learning. Firstly get a very simple project working on the test bench - eg: 1 touch sensor connected to whatever small processor (starting with arduino is a reasonable option). Make it light up a led when touch is detected, You'll need to get into programming, and plug-n-play electronics.

Wishing you many wonderful hours of research and play - it really is a great area to get into. Happy Christmas!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
look here: http://www.embedded.com/design/real...ng-wearable-electronics-with-microcontrollers

and then keep looking and learning. Firstly get a very simple project working on the test bench - eg: 1 touch sensor connected to whatever small processor (starting with arduino is a reasonable option). Make it light up a led when touch is detected, You'll need to get into programming, and plug-n-play electronics.

Wishing you many wonderful hours of research and play - it really is a great area to get into. Happy Christmas!
Good call :)
The OP won't need much power unless she wishes to use a very loud speaker, or have a very long play-time.
A simple 'hello world' program then slowly building on features is the way to go. It's always much harder to do the whole thing in a single run.

Savannahhh

Dec 15, 2015
You can use flex and pressure sensors.
This will let you determine the position of the fingers even if they are not touching... and a resistive 'force' or pressure sensor on the tip of each finger will let you know when they touch something.
The Xbox sensor trick would require a bit more tinkering... it's resolution is not good enough for finger gestures, and it's focus is out if you move too close... but you can adjust it to work close enough which would solve both problems.
Additionally, there are other sensors available but all of them appear to require a lot of processing power for image recognition or complex math to map and watch fingers...
Stick with the sensors and it will make your journey much easier.
Oh, yeah, I have no intention of using motion-capture stuff. I never imagined that the thing would be difficult to make. Fyi, I have no idea what I'm talking about. : ) But like if I ripped the electrical stuff out of two stuffed bears that talk when you squeeze their hands and held one in each of my hands, I could sound one, and I could sound the other. It seems to me that that's really close to what I want. The biggest difference being (It appears this way to me, anyway) that there are two sources of audio rather than one. So would it be really hard to create a similar situation with one source of audio? Without the Kinects and the backpacks? : )

Savannahhh

Dec 15, 2015

Lovely. The programming's no big deal, but I'm a few shocks away from knowing my way around a circuit. : ) Thank yaaa.

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
The advantage of "plug-n-play electronics" is that most of the time you're plugging things in to each other with just the occasional soldering job. You get to learn basic low voltage electronics along the way.

Try here as a start: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Use-Touch-Sensors-With-Arduino/

(edited to add: the capacitive touch sensor used in this project won't work for your glove - it's just a way to get into things)

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Is it really that different from toys that make noise? Those don't require backpacks full of rechargeables. I don't think so, anyway. I could be wrong. : )
My reply was showing a quote of your post! Must be mobile!!
So, I was saying to the others that mentioned PC dependant hardware, that it wont work or be mobile without a huge backpack!!

Martin

Savannahhh

Dec 15, 2015
Oh! Haha. Well, I already bought the backpack, so that was a mistake. : )

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
What exactly would you like to control?
A toy that talks or music?
I thought you wanted each finger of the glove to play a different tune?
This site may give you ideas..

Also, search for "virtual glove" for other ideas for wiring etc.

Martin

Savannahhh

Dec 15, 2015
I wanna control audio files. Little ones. Like two seconds each. The file is chosen by the combination of fingers that are touching. Sounds pretty simple, right? Thanks for the link. : )