Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Blown capacitors in PC

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
Is that from an Acer monitor?If not, it's a remarkably similar design. I replace those all the time.

HI Steve. It's a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleoview L19 monitor, not an acer. I've only opened a few so far and they do look similar.

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
Hi guys,

just about to order the capacitors.. god, why do they make it so difficult!! I just want to clarify something before I possibly buy the wrong ones...

I found that the 470uF 10v capacitor has ripple current of 580mA and impedance (ESR) of 0.25ohms... http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/7037220/ is the one I'm gonna buy to replace this .. it has ripple current of 760mA and ESR of 0.072ohms. i.e. higher ripple current and lower ESR ... I'm good to go right??

thanks again.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
It looks good to me at least electrically. I didn't check the dimensions.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I've just checked the specs for these capacitors. They have a rated lifetime of 3000 hours.

That's actually pretty good. I've conned myself once by buying before looking at the specs and finding the rated lifetime was only 250 hours!

Still, 3000 hours can get eaten up quite quickly if the monitor is powered up 24x7.

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
It looks good to me at least electrically. I didn't check the dimensions.
Thanks for looking that over it. The size is the exact same, diameter 8mm, height 11.5mm, so that is fine,.

Still, 3000 hours can get eaten up quite quickly if the monitor is powered up 24x7.
Yeah I was curious about that too Steve. There are 8760 hours in a 365 day year, so if you have monitor attached to a server, 3000 hours is not that long. I guess that's where the power save / screen saver on the monitor kicks in in this scenario. However, even somebody using a PC for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a years (taking four off for holidays), would use 1920 hours.

Last edited:

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
Just noticed that radionics site seems to use "u" interchangeably with the mu symbol for micro .. very confusing..

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
It's common to see "uF" for microfarads. It's from the days before the Mu symbol was widely available. You'll also occasionally see "mfd".

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The life rating (if you're lucky) is for the device used at close to it's maximum values, so the big ones would be ripple current and temperature. At lower ripple currents and/or temperature you would expect a longer life.

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
Fujitsu Siemens ScaleoView L-19

Hi guys,

I have another thread on here about a PC I was fixing, but unfortunately I broke the damned fan clip when I was putting it back together...It's not coming up with "fan broken" error, and I'm not buying a new fan clip for a six year old machine.. So I'm gonna write that one off to experience (and bad workmanship.. :eek: ) and move on to this monitor..

Fujitsu Siemens ScaleoView L-19... problem was that the power light would come on for a few seconds but NOTHING would show up on the LCD screen.. On opening it, all of the capacitors in the pic below were either bulging or had brown electrolyte on top of them.

Electronic_Circuit_with_labels_1.jpg

I bought the capacitors, and did what I thought was a pretty good job on the soldering... But now there is nothing at all when I power it. No light comes on when I hit the power button on the front...I just hear a buzzing noise at the back when the power is plugged in...
I was gonna try i) testing the outputs for the backlight (720VAC) and the other outputs (12vDC) and then ii) check the board for an open circuit...

Again, this is just something I'm fixing to try to learn, but if anybody would like to throw in their two cents, I'd appreciate it... I found this.. http://martybugs.net/electronics/Acer-AL1716-caps.cgi ... which is an Acer flatscreen that a guy was fixing, but has exactly the same power board, and replaced the EXACT same capacitors, but his fix seems to have been a lot more successful than mine..

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Amusingly enough, I live about 10 minutes drive from MartyBugs. (Hi Martin -- if you ever find this post)

His experience is exactly the same as mine :)

I will admit to making one major mistake once. I fitted the 25V capacitors where the 10V capacitors should have been and vice versa. It was only after I'd put it back together and tried it out that I realised (I looked at my diagrams and the second monitor and thought -- hang on, that's backwards!)

Fortunately, in my case the capacitors survived the brief over-voltage, and once swapped over lived happily for some time.

If what's happening to you happened to me, I'd open it up again and check the capacitors. Did I place them in the wrong place, or the wrong way around?

You have before photos, so checking should be pretty easy.

Let me tell you another horror story. I purchased some capacitors and when I pulled them out to use them (I bought more than I needed for 1 monitor and these were leftovers) I found that they were already bulging! So it is possible to purchase capacitors that are already bad!!! I'd note that the supplier was a trusted one.

So it is possible (although I'd hope unlikely in the extreme) that the capacitors you used were already dead. (If anyone doubts this story, I think I posted about it just after I started here. I would not have believed it myself if I hadn't cut them from the tape myself)

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
Hey Steve...
Apologies about setting up the other thread, didnt know whether to just add to this thread... but this is fine...

That's mad that you live so close to the other guy... Also mad-dennng (for me) that both of yours worked.. :mad::mad: As you see from labelling the photos I tried to do everything right... the caps are def in the right spots, checked about six times...So this is not the issue...

I understand what you are saying about the bad caps, but I would admit that the chance of me doing something wrong (as opposed to having been sent bad caps) is probably more likely...

There is also the possibility that I may have damaged the ribbon cable to the front part (which contains the on switch and LED). I assume that I can just short the two "on" button wires to turn on, same as with a pc?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hey Steve...
Apologies about setting up the other thread, didnt know whether to just add to this thread... but this is fine...

It's easier to keep things all in one place. Stops people asking for information you've already got, allows people subscribed to the thread to see your progress, and helps anyone who comes along later to see what happened.

That's mad that you live so close to the other guy...

Not so much. We have members from everywhere. I would be that we have members living really close to each other that don't even know it. It just happens that Martin and I crossed paths a number of years ago when we both were hand-crafting 2.4GHz antennas.

Also mad-dennng (for me) that both of yours worked.. :mad::mad: As you see from labelling the photos I tried to do everything right... the caps are def in the right spots, checked about six times...So this is not the issue...

OK, the next thing to do is to disconnect the logic boards and power up the power supply. Then check for odd noises and incorrect voltages. Noises from power supplies are almost always a bad thing.

Before you power it up, look for signs of recent damage. Maybe something has failed since you put it back...

I understand what you are saying about the bad caps, but I would admit that the chance of me doing something wrong (as opposed to having been sent bad caps) is probably more likely...

I was glad when I had a chance to blame something other that myself for a change :D Doesn't happen all that often.

There is also the possibility that I may have damaged the ribbon cable to the front part (which contains the on switch and LED). I assume that I can just short the two "on" button wires to turn on, same as with a pc?

Pinching wires and shorting things out, or connecting cable around the wrong way are possibilities sometimes.

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
Okay I isolated just the power board. FSP043-2PI01S. I carefully plugged it in and powered it on..... No noise from it at all, nothing looked or smelled out of the ordinary...

This board feeds 12v and 5v DC to the other circuit board, and 720AC to the backlight. Here are the voltages measured on the DC output..

measured_voltages.jpg

All these voltages are very stable (as measured by my multimeter), but I'm not sure why one of the 5v outputs is reading as 4.85v ?

With regard to the 720AC voltage, I cant measure this with my cheap multimeter which only goes as far as 600v.. I spose I could hook up a potential divider with two 10k resistors, and double the measured voltage?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No, don't measure that. If the backlight comes on it's OK.

It is quite possible that disconnected like it is, the signal to turn this on is not present. That's a good thing because driving these power supplies without a load can often be a bad thing.

Can you connect up the power supply with the cover off (now you've established it's within spec) and see if you can determine what is making noises?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I'm not sure if it's very visible in that photo, but there is a bulge on the IC (http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/25210/STMICROELECTRONICS/TDA7496L.html) on the 9/10 pins

Is it just a solder hump from the wave solder dripping/pooling or is the PC board delaminated? Picture isn't really clear to me...

Either way it might pay to heat it up from both top and bottom and make sure it's a sold solder connection to the IC...

The sucky thing will be if it's a delamnation and the board has internal traces that could have been damaged...

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
okay hooked this up.. power board / logic board / screen.

11062012755.jpg

There is no backlight coming. I may be able to get my hands on the exact same model monitor tomorrow (for a lend) so I'm gonna try the backlight/screen in that and see what happens..

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
Okay guys, I went over to my friend to and turns out his ScaleoView L-19 had also died since I saw him. !!! No power light comes on, no sign of life at all. I've labelled all the parts of my monitor with a 1 and all the parts from his monitor with a 2, to avoid confusion.

I thought the next logical step would be to see if screen 2 would work with the circuit boards from monitor 1.. but when I connect up power board 1, logic board 1, and screen 2... and connect it power + VGA from my own computer... nothing happens on the screen. (i.e. so neither of the screens work with the circuit boards from monitor 1).

JonathanAnon

Mar 22, 2012
Hi guys,

managed to get my hands on a THIRD identical screen would you believe.. yes I'm persistent.. And I think I'm closer to fixing it... On the power board, I noted the following:

Screen 1 (replaced capacitors, still not working):
DC1: 11.75v
DC2: 11.75v
DC3: 5.15v
DC4: 4.85v

Screen 2 (replaced capacitors, still not working):
DC1: 11.75v
DC2: 11.75v
DC4: 4.85v

Screen 3 (working):
DC1: 12.79v
DC2: 12.79v
DC4: 4.83v

Gonna try the good power board with the components from screens one and two tomorrow...

iqbaal khaan

Jun 21, 2012
hello dear few years earlier I have removed same problem of som computers by replacing the deteriorated capacitors. You can do If you want to succeed.