Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Canon i865 inkjet printer not powering up after refurbished print head installed

Martfoxy

Apr 25, 2013
My Canon i865 printer no longer powers up after using a refurbished print head - the light on the power switch no longer comes on. I have tried my original print head and the printer still doesn't power up.
I have tried its power supply in my other printer (same model) and that powers up ok with it.
I suspect its blown something on the main board - the three ribbon cable sockets connect to the print head.
I have checked the fuse fu303 and it conducts.
I have attached photos of the front and back of the board. Unfortunately the service manual I have doesn't have a circuit diagram.

Thank you

Attachments

• canoni865-1.jpg
    canoni865-1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5
  • canoni865-2.jpg
    canoni865-2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I have tried its power supply in my other printer (same model) and that powers up ok with it
It seems you like swapping boards the only thing you have not swapped is your logic board. Put this board in your other printer same model. See if any worning lights come on, something blinking. The schematic for that logic board will probably be as thick as a unabridged dictionary.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
My Canon i865 printer no longer powers up after using a refurbished print head
Haven't read the warnings Canon and the like put out about their printers and after market parts then..........???
Put it this way, the programming in the printer will know when a different head is installed and most likely has issued a shut-down-forever command.
Hens teeth also come to mind if looking for a circuit diagram ...(no such thing).

Martfoxy

Apr 25, 2013
Haven't read the warnings Canon and the like put out about their printers and after market parts then..........???
Put it this way, the programming in the printer will know when a different head is installed and most likely has issued a shut-down-forever command.
Hens teeth also come to mind if looking for a circuit diagram ...(no such thing).
Unfortunately Canon no longer make print heads for this printer.

Martfoxy

Apr 25, 2013
It seems you like swapping boards the only thing you have not swapped is your logic board. Put this board in your other printer same model. See if any worning lights come on, something blinking. The schematic for that logic board will probably be as thick as a unabridged dictionary.
Good idea! I tried this and the board doesn't work in the other printer either - the other printer doesn't power up either. I wonder if the board has a processor and that has blown.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
As you can tell from the "service manual" it is engineered so you can swap out logic boards, printer heads.even upgrade the eproms, nothing will lock up on you or shut down.they wants you to be able to purchase "bookoo" quantities of ink that is their motivation $$$.Could you possibly take another photo of your board perhaps in sections I need to see the component designators in doing so that would be the best resolution to pick out any abnormalities in the components themselves.
I would suggest to submit the photos of your original board before you plug it in in case anything untoward may happen.

Last edited:

Martfoxy

Apr 25, 2013
I have attached new photos.

Attachments

• IMG_4174.jpg
    IMG_4174.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4175.jpg
    IMG_4175.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 5

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Right on! That is sweet. I'll be back with my assessment going to download these babies.thank you sir or ma'am or anything in between.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Blue elliptical circles need to see the ribbon cables( if any) attached to those connectors .
C3402 your biggest filter capacitor definitely gone which stands reason PCB will not power up. A lot of heat to discolor that board considering the age of your unit it is a cumulative stresses the component until failure.
Screenshot_20230702_183017_1688348340116.png

photo_1688348986213.png

Martfoxy

Apr 25, 2013
Thanks for your reply and information. I will replace the bloated capacitors. I have attached a photo of the 3 ribbon cables which then go to the contacts on the back of the print head.

Attachments

• IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4178.jpg
    IMG_4178.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 3

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
No need to take any more photos just do a visual inspection the blue arrows underneath should be silver foiled connection pads just make sure they're not deformed.
Also the red arrow just visually check looks like a tooth is missing on the belt could be a game of light and shadows. Thank you

photo_1688415836478.png

Martfoxy

Apr 25, 2013
I have checked the connections on the ribbon cables and seem ok - likewise the belt. The printer works ok with a good board from the other printer. I did read on another website someone has experienced the same problem with a print head killing the printer.
He is saying he thinks the print head damages the processor stopping the board from working.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
No! he's talking out of his behind!
(I know... I possess a doctorate in that field)
Referencing your link (paraphrasing) you're dead printer head logic board if the power supply becomes defective it affects the fused 3.3 volt microprocessor logic lines signals. They talked to talk but don't walk the walk. There evaluation is anecdotal at best. I read nothing stating the equipment used such as logic analyzers.
They're empirical evidence is lacking the proper procedures once a refurbished printer head, (logic board) is installed, they do not follow the instructions in the service manual as I have posted that particular page. I myself have purchased a refurbished head for a different printer than yours. The procedure is the same it is time consuming but if one follows the procedures as stated in the service manual which is different than the owners manual and you have purchased your refurbished
logic board from a reputable distributor I see no problem if you follow the procedures precisely. But to avoid any of this I would simply buy another printer they're cheap enough. Today if my printer were to stop working I wouldn't even mess with it, cuz I need to print now! and I'll go out and purchasing a new one. The old one I pull out the RGB LED array( if equipped )and make some disco lights and the optical glass I actually sell those on eBay.

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
The printer works ok with a good board from the other printer
Well then you have just proven you can swap out good known working boards with no problems. Refurbished boards must be reset because they're wiped clean so to speak it's stated in the service manual. But in order to do so it must be able to power up and if not then you have purchased a defective refurbished board.