Maker Pro
Maker Pro

cant identify component in battery charger

joeninety0

Feb 1, 2011
I have a ring rcb312 battery charger and what i think is a voltage regulator on the heat sink has burnt out. the component looks like a triac ( its a long time since i was at college) and have been told its prob a voltage reg. the numbers on it are 70t03gp and 822041 . i have searched the internet to find a data sheet but cant find any reference to either number that means anything to me . any ideas would be much appreciated thanks

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
A picture would probably help.
This SOUNDS like your voltage regulator burned-up. The TO-220 style package for voltage regulators looks like a lot of the packaging for some TRIAC's, so that's probably what you're thinking of. Problem is 70t03gp is either a proprietary number owned by the manufacturer of your battery charger, or your device is so burned you can't tell for sure.
Example:
7808 is a positive 8V voltage regulator.
If your burned device WAS a 7808 (there is no 7803, 3V regulator).
Since you think you see a small 't', I'm guessing you can read the number correctly.
I hope somebody can help you with this better than I can here.
If it's a proprietary number, you'd need a working charger to read the working voltage on,
so you'd know what the regulator value is. Manufacturers usually won't tell you what
their proprietary numbers are.
Good luck.

joeninety0

Feb 1, 2011
there are actually 2 similar components on the heat sink . the one on the left is the component in question . thought they were the same but after cleaning the right hand side one that is marked NF710 MBR2045CTG. they both have scorch marks . ( ive just noticed the pcb ismarked below each component as well the left is marked m and the right d ) .I assume the d is for diode so maybe a zener to regulate the supply but no idea what the m stands for.charger.jpg

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
unfortunately the pic is too dark and blurry to pic out any useful info :(
try again and get it under some decent light :)

cheers
Dave