Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cheats Audio

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Greetings,

I was torn between posting this here, in the graveyard thread or in the comedy thread :p

Anyway, I recently took a look at my nephew's expensive 'beats audio' earphones which he said weren't working properly. Allegedly they're worth about £200 but his dad got them for £50 on a trip to China. They're probably knockoffs but still - this is what I found:

Photo0161.jpg

Photo0162.jpg

Photo0163.jpg

These were obviously assembled by a drunk 5 year old wires clumsily soldered at mid points with the ends left hanging. They were even connected out of phase!

Anyway, after rewiring them, the sound was no different. There's a total loss of bass frequencies (with some slight crackling). I told him to try changing the lead as a last resorts (it plugs in at both ends) but I'm guessing its probably a problem with the diaphragms or the coils (I managed to destroy a couple of pairs of my own this way testing amplifier designs). Would I be right?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Chances are that it is only the outside appearance which is
worth about £200

Gross overload could damage them the way that you observe, but did they ever operate better? They could just be factory rejects (so they might be the real thing, just known to be faulty) -- however the wiring is not indicative of this.

买者自负
Mǎi zhě zìfù
"caveat emptor" in Chinese

(Don't we all prefer our Latin in Mandarin?)