Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Control Yamaha HTR-5660 with Raspberry Pi

kdei

Jun 15, 2020
Hi I have a Yamaha HTR-5660 in working condition.
The only thing is that it is not network-ready. I'm well versed in Raspberry Pi but less familiar with electronics. I wanted to see how I can control at least on/off, volume, and input selector via the network.
Yamaha publishes these nice repair manual which I can use as a starting point but don't know where to start.

Any pointers on what components I should begin looking at?

Thanks.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The old audio receiver is controlled with switches and knobs to be used by your hands. Why control it over a network?
My Yamaha audio receiver is a little older than yours and its switches have worn out so it does not work anymore.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Let's for starters have a look at e.g. the input selector:
upload_2020-6-16_6-58-31.png
Input selection is done by a 74HC4051 analog multiplexer. Control inputs are VIA, VIB, VIC (pins 9, 10,11). To allow electronic remote control of this input selector you will have to cut the present connections to these 3 pins and connect the inputs to the outputs of e.g. a raspberry pi. You can then select an input by setting the appropriate pattern on the output of the raspi.

Volume is adjusted by another type of IC: YAC520
upload_2020-6-16_7-4-8.png
This chip is controlled by a serial interface. While you may be able to detach the pins of this interface, connect the interface to a raspi and control the chip using your own serial commands, this will not be as simple as the change to the input selector. But not impossible.

There is a risk, however, that the controller of the AV receiver will shut down the receiver if it can no longer establish communication with these chips.

Last edited: