Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Crimping pins on wire harness

David-LiteSys

Jun 16, 2017
Hello!

My company builds wire harnesses by hand crimping pins on the ends of the wires. The 4 pins we use are:

TE Connectivity 66506-3
TE Connectivity 66104-4
TE Connectivity 66102-4
NorComp 170-102-170L001

The volume has increased to a level where we would like to crimp the pins using a crimping machine for higher volume throughput. We had the opportunity to purchase several used Molex crimping machines for a good price. The problem we are having is figuring out which die set for the Molex crimping machines will work with the pins we are using. I have tried to cross reference the pins we use to Molex pin numbers but am having no luck.

I am hoping someone out there is using older Molex crimp machines (such as TM40D) and can tell me which die sets to use for the above pins. We were able to get several die sets with the machines. The die sets have the older Molex numbers such as 11-xx-xxxx. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
My idea is to go to the TE Connectivity website and use their 'contact us' feature to explain your issue and ask for their recommendation. Even if you don't buy a new machine from them, you'll know what to look for used.

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
really great idea.. check the manuf and find out what crimper to use too...
leave the pins out of it.. find out what crimper you need. there is no such thing as a crimp. or a pin crimp. I am supposed to build my own tools... so think that over. how would you do it... sometimes its easier to build your own crimper.