Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Deciphering datasheet for PCB footprint

argh

Oct 9, 2014
Hi, sorry about the basic question. I'm currently designing a component in Proteus ARES and am trying to understand the dimensions for the pins and such.

http://www.murata-ps.com/data/magnetics/kmp_786.pdf

The pins are to be a DIL, but in the recommended footprint details (page 2) the pins look like they're circular. At this point I'm not really sure how to specify the pins on ARES.

Thanks people, hope to see your replies.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Are you planning to use the through hole version or the SMD version?

The details about the required pad layout is at the end of the datasheet.

The circles shown are the pins. For through hole you need 6 pads, at 0.1 inch spacing with the rows 0.4 inch apart.

argh

Oct 9, 2014
Are you planning to use the through hole version or the SMD version?

The details about the required pad layout is at the end of the datasheet.

The circles shown are the pins. For through hole you need 6 pads, at 0.1 inch spacing with the rows 0.4 inch apart.

Going to be using the through hole version. However what are the dimension of the pins? Is it a width of 0.63mm and length of 0.53mm, or is it a diameter of 1.20mm?

Last edited:

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Keep everything "imperial" - "inches" there are one thousand "thou" in one inch. All my PCB's are in inches as most components are measured in inches. You can make the pads circular or oval and any pad can be made smaller than the rest so tracks can be passed between the pins. Two hundreds and fifty thou = 0.25inches

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The leads are rectangular. You'll note the same for most ICs too.

The figures in parentheses are inches. I'm not sure why they give two measurements for some. Possibly it's min and max. I'd say the leads are 0.63,, x 0.3mm (or the equivalent in inches).

Colin has a point in that if everything you're doing is through hole then it pays to stay in inches. If you're doing surface mount you'll find that mm are preferred. If you're using a combination of the both then get comfortable switching between them.

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
The leads are rectangular. I think you mean: "PADS."
They can also be: "Rounded Rectangular" - depending on how professional you want the board to be.
The most common surface mount components are 1206 (3216 metric): 3.2 mm × 1.6 mm (0.126 in × 0.063 in). This size can be hand-soldered without going crazy. You will notice it is actually an imperial measurement, as are all the sizes we commonly refer-to.
It's a bit difficult chopping and changing from Imperial to Metric and most CAD programs don't allow both at the same time but some manufacturers charge in sq mm or cm for a board 4 inches by 8 inches . . so you have to constantly jump back-and-forth.
If you keep all your projects less than 10cm x 10cm the boards cost $2.00 per board double-sided PTH HASL green silk and perfect.
You can plug them together or stack them and the end-result is so cheap you can compete with the Chinese!!