Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Design bass amplifier

josejos

Mar 6, 2018
I have a clock radio in the bedroom. Its 3" speaker sounds awful so I connected a Radio Shack enclosed 2-way speaker I modded to it and it also sounded awful. I increased the values of the radio's coupling capacitors and now it sounds great. I modded the speaker by throwing away its garbage cone tweeter and used a high quality Seas dome one, made a good crossover network and added a port that allows response down to about 40Hz. The woofer is a high throw low resonance 6.5" one.
Seems like a very nice mod, i hope i can do the same later one.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I recently searched for new speakers but there are so many speakers around.
Yes, there are many cheap poor quality and poor performing speakers around. They are Chinese and have no datasheet.
But there are also many not too expensive excellent speakers around made in The West and each one has a detailed datasheet.

A tiny little portable Bose bluetooth speaker was demo'd at Cosco. Its sound gave me goosebumps and I could not see a concealed woofer because there was none but there was powerful deep bass and all the other frequencies played well. My son bought me a cheap Chinese copy that has no deep bass. I played it now and it sounds pretty good for its tiny size.

Attachments

• tiny amplified portable bluetooth speaker.png
    tiny amplified portable bluetooth speaker.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 100

josejos

Mar 6, 2018
Yes, there are many cheap poor quality and poor performing speakers around. They are Chinese and have no datasheet.
But there are also many not too expensive excellent speakers around made in The West and each one has a detailed datasheet.

A tiny little portable Bose bluetooth speaker was demo'd at Cosco. Its sound gave me goosebumps and I could not see a concealed woofer because there was none but there was powerful deep bass and all the other frequencies played well. My son bought me a cheap Chinese copy that has no deep bass. I played it now and it sounds pretty good for its tiny size.
Ok, have you a good brand in mind? (bose?)

So the size of the speakers doens't say so much?

Is a simple unity gain buffer a good output stage for the headphone jack?

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Regarding the speakers. It depends on whether you are prepared to build a box and how much you are prepared to spend.
Why do you need to buffer the headphone output? Is it not adequate? Or for some other purpose?

josejos

Mar 6, 2018
Regarding the speakers. It depends on whether you are prepared to build a box and how much you are prepared to spend.
Why do you need to buffer the headphone output? Is it not adequate? Or for some other purpose?
My budget off the speakers is around 100euros, is that enough for good speakers? I can build a case at home, my father will help with this.
The buffer is placed after the digipot. I would use a digipot for the volumecontrol but it's mentioned in the datasheet that it is better to buffer the output.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
For the headphone amplifier you could use one that I put on the forum for someone else and he seemed very happy with it. It is quite simple and fairly easy to build.
I have attached the schematic.
For the speakers, I will have a look at what may be achievable for 100 Euros. Does that sum include the amplifier build as well?

Attachments

• Headphone amp.pdf
    10.3 KB · Views: 26