Maker Pro
Maker Pro

doubt in domestic current

bhuvanesh

Aug 29, 2013
i have two question

1)voltage coming from our home wall socket is sine wave or sinusoidal wave.my confusion is we use vrms to get it average since average of sin wave is zero that same if there is phase shift it may become cos wave so there is chance for we can call it as sinusoidal wave isnt it?

2) For current to get through ,the ground is need.so if i touch wall socket current with slipper.does current pass through me or if i hang the power wire that going on post(space) without my leg touching ground ,does the current pass through?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
i have two question

1)voltage coming from our home wall socket is sine wave or sinusoidal wave.my confusion is we use vrms to get it average since average of sin wave is zero that same if there is phase shift it may become cos wave so there is chance for we can call it as sinusoidal wave isnt it?

I have to stop you here! The average of a sinusoidal wave is indeed it's mid point, BUT the work it does it different than the average voltage. VRMS is not an 'Average' but is a Root Mean Square, which is used to calculate the equivalent DC voltage that would do the same 'work'. This value is typically 70.71% of the 'peak' value.

2) For current to get through ,the ground is need.so if i touch wall socket current with slipper.does current pass through me or if i hang the power wire that going on post(space) without my leg touching ground ,does the current pass through?

I MUST stop you again here... current does not need a 'ground' if it has another return path, this is the kind of thought that can get you electrocuted. That is why there is a 'live' and 'neutral' wire. This allows current to flow. Ground is commonly only used for safety, or keeping the same 'reference' point for signalling. (in audio/video equipment) *Additionally, some frequencies and voltages don't even need a 'ground' to penetrate your body.

[Mod Edited -- fixed quoting]

Last edited by a moderator: