Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How do you not run outta batteries?

atxjess

May 30, 2015
I'm new to electronics. I recently bought a kit to play with and experiment, It uses 4 C batteries. But they die super quickly. Rechargeable ones are still pretty pricey. How do you deal with this? I saw a power supply one time I thought was for this, But I don't know what it was called :confused:.

Rather not spend my precious component money on burning batteries in the learning process.:)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I'm new to electronics. I recently bought a kit to play with and experiment, It uses 4 C batteries. But they die super quickly. Rechargeable ones are still pretty pricey. How do you deal with this? I saw a power supply one time I thought was for this, But I don't know what it was called :confused:.

Rather not spend my precious component money on burning batteries in the learning process.:)
C batteries should last a while depending on the project. Heck, many people use 9V cells for a decent period of time. What circuits are you experimenting with?

If it becomes an issue, invest in rechargeable batteries, they are not that much more than regular batteries unless you are buying the bulk dollar store batteries (Which never last long anyway).
You can also use old AC-DC adaptors... you know, the wall warts that powered your childhood gameboy or piano. (Read them carefully to find the output voltage, polarity, and current capability.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi atxjess, the 4 c batteries are 1.5 volts each. You need to add up all batteries voltages and it will give you the circuits running voltage.
Yours has 4 c batteries. Each battery is 1.5 volts. times that by 4 = 6. So your cicuit requires 6 volts.

You can buy a 6 volt DC adapter from any electrical shop. It will save your money for more components.

Better still, buy an adapter with 3 to12 volts adjustable. Now you have your future purchases covered too.

Good luck.
Martin.

atxjess

May 30, 2015
What circuits are you experimenting with?
If it becomes an issue, invest in rechargeable batteries, they are not that much more than regular batteries unless you are buying the bulk dollar store batteries (Which never last long anyway).
You can also use old AC-DC adaptors... you know, the wall warts that powered your childhood gameboy or piano. (Read them carefully to find the output voltage, polarity, and current capability.

It's a basic breadboard experiment kit. I think the charge went quick cause the first circuits in the tutorial had no resistors. By the time I was using resistors, no juice.

That explains a lot. I grew up on dollar store batteries, never used any others. :p
I have a ton of AC-DC wall warts of different voltages including a 6-volt. Can I cut and strip it like this one(then test polarity)? If not why? I would much rather reuse something than buy something I don't need.
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20279

Thanks for help. Its much appreciated. I'll be answering questions in no time. :D

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Buy a small 12v lead acid battery for alarm systems..

I then charge it with an lm2596 switching regulator from a 3amp 19v charger float charging the battery to 14.2ish voltz (float charge it)

I then charge smaller batteries from that ..

Ebay has a lot of cheap nimh batteries 5 bucks will get 5-10 rechargeable batteries..

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Oops missed your reply...

Yeah use the 6v wall adapter, is the plugpack heavy or light? If it feels solid and heavy it uses a transformer which for electronic use is perfect...

I don't think i could handle using a switch mode psu on electronics you handle with bare hands, yes there's a high frequency transformer which should isolate you... fine for a pc and plastic keyboard/mouse but what if it shorted in a way it could bypass? Maybe i'm being overly cautious. .. but for peace of mind i prefer a good old reliable transformer :)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
It's a basic breadboard experiment kit. I think the charge went quick cause the first circuits in the tutorial had no resistors. By the time I was using resistors, no juice.

That explains a lot. I grew up on dollar store batteries, never used any others. :p
I have a ton of AC-DC wall warts of different voltages including a 6-volt. Can I cut and strip it like this one(then test polarity)? If not why? I would much rather reuse something than buy something I don't need.
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20279

Thanks for help. Its much appreciated. I'll be answering questions in no time. :D
You certainly can strip the plug off the end of an existing adaptor. There is a bit of a catch though.
There are two kinds of transformers that I'll explain below.
-Switch-mode Adaptor:
These adaptors are small and light. Common examples are cell-phone chargers. They are a very accurate when producing the desired voltage across a range of currents you draw from it. They 'should' be built with some form of isolation, but some are not... you will read horror stories online about some cheap knock-off chargers causing harm or even death. I use these types of chargers and have not had any issues. All of mine have been built properly. It would be wise to use a multi-meter to measure between the low voltage output side and the high voltage prongs to ensure there is no direct current flow.
Additionally, these adaptors work by pulsing the power on and off incredibly quickly and filtering the output to smooth out the voltage. This may cause 'noise' or odd behaviour when working with audio or digital circuits if you do not put in your own filters. (Which is a good practice anyway)
-Transformer:
These adaptors are heavier and larger than the above examples. Common examples are the large brick like chargers a few years back used for computer speakers, pianos, etc... The big things that take up the entire outlet or cover 2 or 3 outlets on a power-bar. They are not as accurate at producing the desired voltage if the current draw changes. You will find that when no load is applied, the voltage will be higher, and as you begin to pull current from it, it will drop to the desired voltage. Because of this, you should be careful when using high current capable transformers for projects. If it's a 12V adaptor rated for 2000mA and you only plan to pull 300mA you may find the voltage hovering in the 14-16V range. (This is only a problem if you don't expect it) However, because of their construction they are ALWAYS isolated from the high voltage side (unless they are intentionally connected internally.) These adaptors work by scaling down the AC voltage and 'rectifying' it, again it uses filters to keep it smooth. The frequency from these devices will be the same or double the mains voltage frequencyyou are powering them from. (Which is usually much less than the switch mode supplies) Again filters should be used, but the power would most likely be cleaner than most switch mode adaptors.

Which on you use is up to you. There are pros and cons to each. It's always a good practice to work with electronics safely. Which means not around water, and never placing yourself electrically between ground and an electric source. (For example.. a computer case is usually grounded. Don't touch an exposed wire of any kind and your computer case.)
I wish you the best of luck in your experiments. Let us know if you have any questions!

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Love the Goldmine. That adapter is a simple transformer/rectifier/filter, and is unregulated. Unloaded, it might make 8 V or more. That's ok for much of what you will be doing, but keep it in mind if you get into logic chips; many of them max out at 5.5 V.

ak

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
They are not as accurate at producing the desired voltage if the current draw changes. You will find that when no load is applied, the voltage will be higher,

That adapter is a simple transformer/rectifier/filter, and is unregulated. Unloaded, it might make 8 V or more.

Yes, I believe Gryd3 covered that in his very informative post.
Did you read it?
Martin.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Yes, I did. I also read the first four words of post #1, thought about what I would want to know within the contexts of posts #1 and #4, saw a potential for unexpected and potentially destructive results, and filled in some details missing from all previous posts. I wrote my response yesterday, hit the wrong button so it didn't send, read Gryd3's post today, reviewed mine, thought it still had something positive to contribute, and sent it.

ak

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Yes, I did. I also read the first four words of post #1, thought about what I would want to know within the contexts of posts #1 and #4, saw a potential for unexpected and potentially destructive results, and filled in some details missing from all previous posts. I wrote my response yesterday, hit the wrong button so it didn't send, read Gryd3's post today, reviewed mine, thought it still had something positive to contribute, and sent it.

ak
I got no problem restating information just so long as it does not confuse the OP. Sometimes incorrect information gets posted and needs to be corrected, and other times I can't quite explain myself clearly enough. Whatever the reason no harm was done. I usually find it helps to read the opinions of more than one person anyway, as we all think differently and sometimes using a different word to describe something can make all the difference.