Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to set up a Grote 76223 Yellow Two Sealed-Beam Roto-Beacon to run off this 12W Universal AC/DC 12V 6A Power Adapter Wall Charger 5.5 x 2.1mm

wolfmaker

Jun 17, 2024
so the information on the Beacon Light says
  • Mounting: Permanent Lens Design: Round Light Output: 33, 000 Candela Watts: 70.8 Base Material: Stainless Steel Housing Material: Aluminium

• Number of Light Sources‎2
    Voltage‎12 Volts
    Included Components‎Two Sealed-Beam
    Lighting Method‎halogen
    8.7 watts
    Wattage
    Manufacturer Part Number

as for the plug it say
    BrandLINKSQ
    Connector Type2-Pin
    Compatible DevicesProjectors, PC, Game Consoles, Musical Instruments, Printers
    Compatible Phone ModelsGoogle Pixel
    Special FeatureShort Circuit Protection, Over Current Protection, Over Voltage Protection
    ColorBlack
    Input Voltage110 Volts (AC)
    Mounting TypeWall Mount
    Amperage6 Amps
    Wattage72 watts

the set up i am thinking is to splice together a 8 AWG wire to the 16 AWG from the Beacon light and then extend the wire to about 35 to 40 ft long the reason for the thicker wire because I heard that the longer the wire the more there will be a voltage drop so to prevent voltage drop I wanted to provide a thicker wire and so 8 AWG should be suffice for the length. I will then splice together another short length of 16 AWG because the female adapter part for the AC/DC plug only can fit a 16 or 12 AWG wire and then that would plug into the AC/DC adapter which I already gave the specs on this would then plug into a surge protector so that there is an off and on switch for it so that it could be turned on and off whenever needed

Attachments

• !light.jpg
    !light.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
A 12w adaptor (your quote) will be insufficient to drive the required load.

I image the load is DC as it is not stated in the spec. only that you are using an AC/DC adaptor.

Voltage drop calculators are online where one can work out the Vd over a certain length at a certain load current using a certain size cable.
Be certain you look for "DC" voltage drop calculator.

Using a higher awg cable will NOT, as you put it, "prevent voltage drop", it will reduce it, the size of the conductor(as well as all the above) determining what value of voltage drop you are prepared to accept.
5% is a normal figure.

Finally, any plug/socket inline with the load will create it's own voltage drop point.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
photo_1718673530706.png
The combination of ohm's law and joule's law gives us 12 formulas where two of the three variables are known. Just choose which variable you wish to calculate, then choose the two variables you know the values of. Example.
From the title of your thread:
Please note in the chart The Big E is Voltage. The E stands for ElectroMotive Force or EMF. Voltage is an electromotive Force. I don't mean to confuse you let's carry on...
Sealed-Beam Roto-Beacon to run off this 12W Universal AC/DC 12V 6A Power.
Let's choose power in Watts & verify that numeric value.
Although you have given all three values wattage voltage and amperage let's plug in voltage and amperage simply enough.
Power in watts equals voltage times amperage.12Volts× 6 Amps=72Watts .
So there's something wrong with the title of your thread, mistakes happen, but must be clarified to proceed forward.
As for the gauge at length of wire just stick with 16 Gage, make it a lot simpler check it out.
That's calculated for 12 volts of course but normally all this is calculated at 13.8 volts because that's what the voltage regulator on the vehicle is 13.8 DC . Give it a try and you will see the voltage drop will be negligible,..
photo_1718674768007.png

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
so the information on the Beacon Light says
  • Mounting: Permanent Lens Design: Round Light Output: 33, 000 Candela Watts: 70.8 Base Material: Stainless Steel Housing Material: Aluminium

but in the next info it gives

Wattage
Lighting Method‎halogen
8.7 watts

so which is it ???? 70.8 W or 8.7W

I cant really believe that it's 70.8W for one of those units, they are designed to run off car batteries and that sort of power
drain would flatten the battery real fast

8.7W even if that was times 2 for each halogen globe would make more sense

I went to the www site for the item you listed

""Grote 76223 Yellow Two Sealed-Beam Roto-Beacon""

Didnt see much info related to voltage or power ??

so not sure what is going on ?

Dave

wolfmaker

Jun 17, 2024

I image the load is DC as it is not stated in the spec. only that you are using an AC/DC adaptor.

Voltage drop calculators are online where one can work out the Vd over a certain length at a certain load current using a certain size cable.

Using a higher awg cable will NOT, as you put it, "prevent voltage drop", it will reduce it, the size of the conductor(as well as all the above) determining what value of voltage drop you are prepared to accept.
5% is a normal figure.

Finally, any plug/socket inline with the load will create it's own voltage drop point.
the only other thing i can say that it is a hard wired kind you're supposed to mount it onto top of a car truck Etc
https://www.amazon.com/Grote-76223-...CMF3HG/ref=pd_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_0?pd_rd_w=O if this helps

wolfmaker

Jun 17, 2024

I cant really believe that it's 70.8W for one of those units, they are designed to run off car batteries and that sort of power

Dave
the AI at amazon was saying for the watts The product specifications state the beacon has 8.7 watts, not 70.8 watts. The 70.8 watt value likely refers to the total power output when the two bulbs are combined. as far as I can find out it's a hard wire device so you would mount it on the top of your car truck Etc and it would work off the battery of the car truck Etc

wolfmaker

Jun 17, 2024

Dave
beacon operates at 12 volts and has a wattage of 8.7 watts, providing a brightness of 33000 candela. as I mentioned before it's supposed to be hard wired to the car truck Etc and probably works off the 12 volt battery of your car truck Etc

wolfmaker

Jun 17, 2024
View attachment 63968
The combination of ohm's law and joule's law gives us 12 formulas where two of the three variables are known. Just choose which variable you wish to calculate, then choose the two variables you know the values of. Example.
From the title of your thread:
Please note in the chart The Big E is Voltage. The E stands for ElectroMotive Force or EMF. Voltage is an electromotive Force. I don't mean to confuse you let's carry on...
Sealed-Beam Roto-Beacon to run off this 12W Universal AC/DC 12V 6A Power.
Let's choose power in Watts & verify that numeric value.
Although you have given all three values wattage voltage and amperage let's plug in voltage and amperage simply enough.
Power in watts equals voltage times amperage.12Volts× 6 Amps=72Watts .
So there's something wrong with the title of your thread, mistakes happen, but must be clarified to proceed forward.
As for the gauge at length of wire just stick with 16 Gage, make it a lot simpler check it out.
That's calculated for 12 volts of course but normally all this is calculated at 13.8 volts because that's what the voltage regulator on the vehicle is 13.8 DC . Give it a try and you will see the voltage drop will be negligible,..
View attachment 63969
oh yes you're right I put W I meant to put V I must have not been paying attention but I meant 12 volts not 12 Watts

wolfmaker

Jun 17, 2024

5% is a normal figure.

and as u say ur right reduce so the point of using a thick wire like 8 awg was to reduce the voltage drop
using a thicker wire, such as an 8-gauge wire, can help reduce voltage drop compared to a thinner wire like a 16-gauge wire. However, it's important to consider the specific requirements of your application and ensure the voltage drop remains within an acceptable range. and i wanted it to be with in the acceptable range so i not cause a fire in my place

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
oh yes you're right I put W I meant to put V I must have not been paying attention but I meant 12 volts not 12 Watts
As a teenager I did a lot of RF installations for public safety from dispatch consoles handheld and mobile radios.
That 70.8 watts could very well be a peak value not an average RMS value cuz you have to consider the rotator itself has motors inside of it and they rotate at programmable rates along with flash rates you'd be surprised the amount of combinations you could program into it.
And your power supplies at 73 Watts. I like to be well above the peak value of the load that I'll be supplying power to ; if your power supply has Force air or a fan on it I would use it but do not leave it running unattended.

and i wanted it to be with in the acceptable range so i not cause a fire in my place
That's right,safety first! Just keep your conductors as short as possible I think you'll be okay.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Grote list the current for this beacon as 5.9A.
Can you place the adapter close to the beacon?