Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kindle fire power port broke off board. Please help!

ritter2009

Apr 14, 2013
Ok so my kids were playing with their kindle fires and managed to break the USB port off not one but both kindles inside a week. After doing some reading, I see it is a problem that plagues the KF. I have read that they could be soldered back on and I tried but it is not as easy as one would think. The port has 5 very small prongs on it that are horribly soldered to the board. So now I have managed to ruin the pads as well. I do not care about being able to transfer data from the USB. I would just like to be able to charge them. Any info would be great. My kids would be very happy. Thank you in advance!

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
To be blunt, if you don't have the skills and have already caused damage chances are you will only further damage it at this point... You need to seek some professional help from someone with more soldering skills...

I could entertain fixing it for you but without actually assessing the damage first hand to see how bad it is, I can't realistically give you a cost or even a guarantee I would entertain fixing it... If you are interested in seeking professional help let me know and we can take it private...

If you still want to go at it yourself, take it outside on a sunny day and snap a bunch of clear in focus pictures and we can give some guidance on what would need to be done...

ritter2009

Apr 14, 2013
Well I saw you helping the other guy with a similar issue. He had said he got his to charge. The pads on the edge of the board are torn in the same way and the USB prong pads are all shot. That is the only real difference. I wasn't sure if it were still possible to jump it if all 5 pads were bad. Thank you for responding

Last edited:

ritter2009

Apr 14, 2013
I am fairly new to soldering but I believe I can handle soldering. I have read a lot and have good enough equipment. I could obviously use more practice though. I would be willing to throw some money your way if you could talk me threw it. We can work off the pictures from the other guys post if you don't mind

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Take some pictures of your board and as I said and I (we) can try to walk you through what would need to be done to jump it to function... I highly suggest as I did in the other thread to get a few feet of Kynar wire off Ebay or locally if you have a real electronics shop but an entire roll can get expensive...

ritter2009

Apr 14, 2013
I tried to take some pics outside as you asked and they turned out pretty bad. I will post them tomorrow. The only descent camera I have is on my phone. I also ordered the kynar wire as you asked, it should be here by Friday at the latest. You may want to work off that other guys pictures. Hopefully we can come up with a game plan by the time the wire gets here thanks again for your time.