Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Learning Electronics for Everyday Practical Reasons Non-Professional

HAROLDYOUNG

Jul 15, 2023
A rather useful device is a component tester, cheap enough and simple to use.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/393562650291

Another, also cheap as piece of test gear would be a small oscilloscope such as the DSO150 or equivalent
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374308761594
Bluejets

I don't know much about oscilloscopes but seen this one on Amazon along with that DSO150 you recommend.
It's around the same price. It has larger numbered specs if that makes any difference. What could you do with
this one that you cannot do with the DSO150?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Don't bother with an oscilloscope until you have the very basics of fault diagnosis down 'pat'. An oscilloscope won't make a blind bit of difference if you don't understand the circuit you're working on, how it works and can localise the area that might be at fault. You can do all that with a basic multimeter.

Oscilloscopes aren't some form of 'magic diagnostic' machine UNLESS you have the background skills to know where and WHEN to use one, never mind interpreting the results it might give.

HAROLDYOUNG

Jul 15, 2023
Don't bother with an oscilloscope until you have the very basics of fault diagnosis down 'pat'. An oscilloscope won't make a blind bit of difference if you don't understand the circuit you're working on, how it works and can localise the area that might be at fault. You can do all that with a basic multimeter.

Oscilloscopes aren't some form of 'magic diagnostic' machine UNLESS you have the background skills to know where and WHEN to use one, never mind interpreting the results it might give.

Bluejets suggested I get the small cheap DSO150 oscilloscope to add to a basic tool kit to get started.
That doesn't mean I would immediately use it as soon as it is delivered within the hour.

I seen the other small scope for about the same price, around 40 to 50 dollars, and was asking him how and if it was a superior piece of gear.

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Don't bother with an oscilloscope until you have the very basics of fault diagnosis down 'pat'.
And if the Op wants to look at say a pulse from a 555 basic timer...???
I'd have to disagree with you there.
They're not all THAT difficult to understand and these days there are gazillions of youtube videos to get one up-to-speed, at least on a minimal level.
That plus they're $40.....OMG....!!!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I seen the other small scope for about the same price, around 40 to 50 dollars, and was asking him how and if it was a superior piece of gear.
No idea, I'd assume just a more modern version of the DSO150 (which is what I bought around 10 years ago)
My good bench unit ($600 machine) went under in the 2013 flood and didn't have the funds to spend on another the same so the DSO150 was bought as a fill in. Never needed to replace it ....only added a rechargable battery,,,still working.

HAROLDYOUNG

Jul 15, 2023
No idea, I'd assume just a more modern version of the DSO150 (which is what I bought around 10 years ago)
My good bench unit ($600 machine) went under in the 2013 flood and didn't have the funds to spend on another the same so the DSO150 was bought as a fill in. Never needed to replace it ....only added a rechargable battery,,,still working.
I meant based on the specifications as listed on Amazon. Is this small cheap scope better than the DSO150 if you
look at the specs and based on thos specs, what could you do that you could not do with the DSO150?
I'm talking about specs like "sample rate", bandwidth, etc. that are listed there? The numbers are larger so it would
seem like that that scope would be better, but I don't really know if that is correct.

Here is the link again.

https://www.amazon.com/Oscilloscope...4cb-b1d5-4d83742dbe10&pd_rd_i=B0C1V67M8F&th=1

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Don't have the time or the need to study the differences....at any rate, it would be safe to say it will make zero difference to you currently anyhow...just being realistic.

Let us know what you find...that's normally how it works my end at least.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Bluejets suggested I get the small cheap DSO150 oscilloscope to add to a basic tool kit to get started.
That doesn't mean I would immediately use it as soon as it is delivered within the hour.

A nice one with good reviews is the AliExpress 1005005575297190 for just over US$20,00, double beam also.
FNIRSI-1013D Digital Tablet Oscilloscope Dual Channel 100M Bandwidth

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I just have to reply again. The OP doesn’t seem to grasp the concept of ‘basic electronics fixer upper’. There is no such thing!, period.
You CAN have basic repairs. If you open a TV, Hi-Fi, amplifier or Satellite box for example. You may get lucky with a blown internal fuse. But that fuse probably blew because of a shorted component on the PCB. So, what do you do now?.
Again, you may get lucky with an obvious burnt component. But you need to know or at the very least be able to trace the signal up stream or down stream depending on what you find.

Martin

HAROLDYOUNG

Jul 15, 2023
I just have to reply again. The OP doesn’t seem to grasp the concept of ‘basic electronics fixer upper’. There is no such thing!, period.
You CAN have basic repairs. If you open a TV, Hi-Fi, amplifier or Satellite box for example. You may get lucky with a blown internal fuse. But that fuse probably blew because of a shorted component on the PCB. So, what do you do now?.
Again, you may get lucky with an obvious burnt component. But you need to know or at the very least be able to trace the signal up stream or down stream depending on what you find.

Martin
But you need to know or at the very least be able to trace the signal up stream or down stream

I know you have to have a schematic to show parameters at various points which if not met,
indicate a malfunction and a possible general location to zero in on. You don't have to be an electronic
technician to figure that out. And like someone said, youtube has gazillion of instructional videos
when needed. I've used them to fix my refrigerator, make sure I ordered the correct part for my
washing machine control and also replace an alternator on my SUV. "Basic electronics fixer upper"
can't be much different, including understanding basic electronics and electricity.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Appliances are getting a little more involved to trouble shoot, often it is a case of reverting to changing out a circuit board.
For e.g. Most modern washing M/C's now use the Fischer-Paykel outrunner BLDC motor, this eliminates the gearbox, so none of the old style induction motor-simple controller.
The rotor is a integral part of the bottom of the tub.1

HAROLDYOUNG

Jul 15, 2023

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
What CAN and CANNOT be measured with the DSO150 oscilloscope?
What are it's measuring limits and what gear are within and outside of its range?

Thanks
Have you heard of Google?
You’ll get everything you need to know and probably videos on it too.
It amazes me how people find the forum to post questions without a little WWW search first. Then post your questions on the parts you don’t understand.

Martin

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
What CAN and CANNOT be measured with the DSO150 oscilloscope?
You obviously have an internet connection so do some Googling and some study.
Plenty of videos around on almost any subject you can think of.
Not difficult to separate the BS sites with genuine.