Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LEDs on cars license plate frame

marjden

Oct 11, 2015
I recently bought a license plate frame to put on my car, (ill try to include photos below) it has 2 sets of leds, one is red that goes one with the brake lights, the other is white and is on whenever the regular license plate lights are on,
assuming i hook it up right,

so it has 2 sets of wires that i have to hook up to the vehicle, one set goes to the license illuminating lights ( so the white leds go on) and the other set goes to the brake lights, now i have a car, so i wasnt able to run to the brake lights as i dont have any on the trunk, so i just ran both sets to the license plate lights,

so both lights are always on when the headlights are on, it looks pretty cool this way.

but i have 1 issue.
the lights are so bright that when i back up the lights cause glare on the backup camera..

so i have a plan on what i can do, i want to run wiring to the backing up lights, and here where i need help.
either use a special switch or relay that whenever the backup lights go on, it should cut power to the LEDs.

now can someone please help me with what part i need for this?

thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated

20151001_162243.jpg 20151003_235017.jpg

marjden

Oct 11, 2015
the first photo looks very nice, but the second one has a lot of glare from the lights, this is only on camera, inperson it looks beautiful.. this actually got me started on an idea on making license plate invisible to cameras, ill post anotherthread on that if this one gets some responses, ..

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hello,
Personally I would just connect the led brake light as it should be connected.
If you have a boot (trunk), you can easily run another wire to the original brake lights and use a scotch block connector.
Or if the car is a hatch back, the existing wires will come through somewhere near the hinges at the top. Again, easy enough to run one wire there through the grommet.
Only one wire is needed because you can use chassis ground in the boot.

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
this actually got me started on an idea on making license plate invisible to cameras, ill post anotherthread on that if this one gets some responses, ..

no don't do that .... since its illegal, we wont discuss that application

Dave

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
no don't do that .... since its illegal, we wont discuss that application

Dave
I wouldn't worry too much Dave. Mythbusters did a whole show on it and failed miserably.
The only idea that kind of worked was Jamies' 007 style rotating plate...

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I wouldn't worry too much Dave. Mythbusters did a whole show on it and failed miserably.
The only idea that kind of worked was Jamies' 007 style rotating plate...

Martin
yeah I saw that episode, trying various methods