Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Noise and Glitches

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
I am struggling to understand and fix the issues of noise and glitches, it is motor controller application with frequency switching of 20KHz, what is the impact of this kind of pwm switching. What exactly happens in this kind of application, does it impact PCB, signals everything? How do i know something is noise or not? I am really new to this.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Research 'decoupling' (in respect to capacitors, primarily, inductors secondarily). This is why in many digital aplications the pcb is often 'crowded' with decoupling capacitors (one per chip in many examples!) and similar capacitors are wired directly across the motor terminals.

In switched-mode applications note the use of a large inductor as well as 'lots' of capacitors on the secondary side.

Noise can be transmitted via the power rails or induced into long pcb traces and even into wiring (where ferrites come into play).

Most (all?) electronic equipment has to pass 'emissions' regulations for commercial use and SMPS noise is often why the external power lead has a massive ferrite clamped to it.

sgodblacktechy

Jul 27, 2023
To figure out what's noise and what's not, keep testing and experimenting. Listen to your instincts, and if something feels off or disrupts the signal flow, it could be noise.