Maker Pro
Maker Pro

One switch two light bulbs.

littledavyboy

Nov 6, 2011
For my project Im trying to work out how to make one switch operate two different light bulbs. It's killing me and I'm nearly at the point of giving up. I can see it in my mind how to do it but I can put it into practice. Please can someone help?

I want to use a switch to turn a lamp on like normal, but when I flick the switch, repeatedly (x2) and quickly, the circuit changes to another lamp.

One lamp would be green and the other red (not that its relevant).

I was thinking about a 555 but it's been so long since i played with one I don't think I can achieve it.

Is their an easy way to do this job or is it as difficult as I'm making it!

I hope you can help.

Thanks

Davy

littledavyboy

Nov 6, 2011
I came up with the switch though after using a security alarm that changes to permanently on when you double-switch.

For my project it has to be a single switch.

thanks

littledavyboy

Nov 6, 2011
Hi davy,

If you talk about main powered light bulbs this is the trick:

http://www.dos4ever.com/keukenlamp/keukenlamp.html

Olivier

Olive,

Your circuit diagram is absolutely unequivocally exactly what I need, thank you so much, I think it's an amazing circuit and I'm glad it served you so well, and for so long. An absolutely amazing, but emotional story, you sound like a great guy.

Thanks again! I will let you know how my project turns out.

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Davy,

Happy that it's what you are looking for but the design is absolutely not mine.
I just point you to the right direction!
Doesn't mean that I am not a great guy too:D:)

Olivier

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
2WAY.gif

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Sheldonstv
welcome to the forums :)

not quite what the OP wanted, If you read back through you will see he wanted 2 different lamps on the same circuit to be individually switched :)

Olivier
that was a great link :) I hope you and Davy both read the page right to the bottom. a bit of a sad story in may ways. But a nice tribute to Ronald's mom :)

cheers
Dave

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Hi Dave,

Yes I have read the sad Ronald story to the end, that's why I was a little bit embarrassed with the littledavyboy reply.

Olivier

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
ok heres the revised schematic-2 lights(leds) 1 switch(single pole double throw) and 2 resistors........cant be any more simple than that

Attachments

• 2 LEDS 1 switch.pdf
    4.9 KB · Views: 353

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
sheldonstv,

A satisfying answer was already provided to the OP. The only thinks it can probably be done is to provide any other working solution just for the technical beauty, or something cheaper or smaller.

Olivier

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
sheldonstv,

A satisfying answer was already provided to the OP. The only thinks it can probably be done is to provide any other working solution just for the technical beauty, or something cheaper or smaller.

Olivier
i might not have looked properly the first time around but im sure whatever the op will use schematic wise -wether its a circuit with mains transformers relays etc or a spdt switch,2 leds and 2 resistors (which can be replaced by bulbs_and not fitting the resistors) ....it does the same thing and works in the same way.....