Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Philips Oscilloscope Type PM 3206. Service Manual

Gopakumar

Jun 2, 2018
I am looking for a service manual on Philips Oscilloscope Type PM 3206. My oscilloscope has a problem with the horizontal amplifier. The beam now appears only as a point on the center of the screen and moves vertically with the control. The horizontal control and time base have no effect. I would like some tips on the service remedy also.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Gopakumar . . . . .

Had to think about that old one one a bit . . . . .then definitely decided that it just chronologically fell BOTH in the POST Neanderthal and Cro magnon periods and then came up with this . . .

https://elektrotanya.com/philips_pm3206_oscilloscope_sm.pdf/download.html
Initially wait for the bottom left center to shift from queing up with an initial [processing] and finally a transition to
[ Get manual ] message, to then click on . . . . and run like HELL . . . as no telling what will then happen.

Is it still worth its preliminary, day ones pricing of 1700 pounds to you ? Since it was quite avante- techno, feature wise, for the 1964-66 design era.

You either have a X deflection drive, or power to problem . . . or some little rug rat might have inadvertently turned a HOZ drive source knob for you .

73's de Edd . . . . .

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
...no telling what will then happen.
Well, what happened when I waited long enough, was TWO copies of the manual appeared on my screen, both seemingly identical although I didn't compare them page for page.

For a hobbyist, this was a 'scope to drool over in the 1960s. 15 MHz vertical bandwidth, triggered linear time base, dual trace... what's not to like if you couldn't afford to shell out big bux for a Tektronix? But £1700? That was several months salary for me back then. I "got by" with my EICO 460K kit oscilloscope with its recurrent, non-triggered, synchronized (mostly) linear sweep until I managed to score a slightly used Tektronix 465B for $300 at the Dayton Hamvention® one year.

I know nothing about the economics in India, but that Phillips puppy is waaay beyond a cost-effective repair. Unless your labor and parts are freebies. Better to "invest" in a good DSO (Digital Storage Oscilloscope) and get on with your life.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Gopakumar . . . . .

I just hope that this unit did not end up coming from, and being stored for decades in an old MAERSK shipping container in Bhubaneswar.
Where its HOT-HOT-HOT and 118% humidity . . . with the added extra . . . from not having mere beads of sweat . . . but a continuous sheet of perspiration being on oneself continually.

That then relates to the possible condition of the myriads of slide switchwes used on the units front panel.
In that time frame of build, and on this quality of unit, they typically used SILVER flashed contacts . . . and in those climatic conditions, could leave all BLACK Ag O2 on those contacts.

Next, direct your attention to the YELLOW mark up section . . . . and there . . . . your VERY first consideration, would be the RED markup of the INT-EXT switch, in seeing for sure, that it is being in the INT position. If not . . . . . positively no side to side Hoz sweep.

Next, would be its having bad internal connectivity, which I just referred to, so flip it up and down for about 25 times, to hope for some frictional cleaning action, for further evaluation .

The next item, would be the MAG switch and its like markup . . . also . . . . being just above .
Poor connectivity on it can also cause a loss of Hoz sweep.

FACEPLATE REFERENCING . . . . .
upload_2018-6-3_5-35-1.png

73's de Edd

Gopakumar

Jun 2, 2018
Dear De edd,
Thanks for your technical advice and for the service manual. Iam delighted that the Forum has such knowledgeable and service minded people like you . I consider it a privilege being a member of this forum