Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pioneer SA-505 clicking

tooter

Feb 17, 2018
The previous advice was to manually operate the relay and see what happens.

The relay is almost certainly part of a protection circuit. It is either failing to actuate because the circuit detects a fault, or because the protection circuit is faulty.

In the latter case, actuating the relay will cause the amplifier to operate normally.

In the former, you might see smoke.

I don't have the schematic, so I don't really know what the relay is doing. It may be part of a complex circuit that checks various parameters, or it might just rely on the main power rail, disabling the output when it is not in spec.
Hi thanks for the reply I have pressed the relay down and it did pass sound through ok. I have a full service manual.
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Shared/hfe_pioneer_sa-540_service_arp-304-0_en.pdf?role=personal

tooter

Feb 17, 2018
I am not logging on to look at your pretty picture, I have had enough trouble with funny thing hapening.
Put the schematic as an attachment here.
It won't let me attach as the file is to large.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir tooter . . . . .

One lead of your RY1 / ASR107 relay, that you just had pulled, has one coil connection going to the collector of its Q405 driver transistor, while its other end coil end should go to R414 which is a 820 1 watt resistor.
So, using the emitter of Q405 as your metering ground referencing, measure on both sides of that R414 and if you were reading 6VDC at the relay what voltage do you read on the OTHER supply side of the R414 ?
Would be expecting a max of about 34VDC or a min of 29 VDC from the power supply..

73's de Edd

tooter

Feb 17, 2018
Sir tooter . . . . .

One lead of your RY1 / ASR107 relay, that you just had pulled, has one coil connection going to the collector of its Q405 driver transistor, while its other end coil end should go to R414 which is a 820 1 watt resistor.
So, using the emitter of Q405 as your metering ground referencing, measure on both sides of that R414 and if you were reading 6VDC at the relay what voltage do you read on the OTHER supply side of the R414 ?
Would be expecting a max of about 34VDC or a min of 29 VDC from the power supply..

73's de Edd
Hi thanks for the answer after testing bothe ends of the R414 i get 6v from the end nearest the coil and between 11-12 from the other end.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Measure the voltage between TP1 and TP2 (Left) also TP3 and TP4 (Right).This is a measure of the current through the output transistors. The correct voltage should be found in the details, excess voltage, hence current, will stop the relay actuating (I think).

tooter

Feb 17, 2018
Measure the voltage between TP1 and TP2 (Left) also TP3 and TP4 (Right).This is a measure of the current through the output transistors. The correct voltage should be found in the details, excess voltage, hence current, will stop the relay actuating (I think).

Hi both show 1.3 mv

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
That is within the threshold of .23mv and 23mv.
I think you mean that it is the acceptable range. There is no threshold.
It looks as if the positive and negative power supply and the output transistors are working properly. This is confirmed by sound output when the relay is pushed in.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir tooter . . . . .

Here is a condensing of the whole schematic to only your particular areas of interest.
Initially find your relay that was tested and then follow the yellow brick road . . . . . .errr . . . . RED arrow path, back to its dedicated power supply source.

Apply the AC power to the unit with the POWER switch .
We want the DC reading there across the + to - of the YELLOW boxed C206 supply capacitor and then switch to DVM metering function to AC mode and see what the AC ripple level is being there also.

Replace C206 and expect the unit to now power up the speakers.

Then re take those DC and AC ripple readings with the new capacitor.

Feed back your findings . . . . .

MINI-SCHEMATIC REFERENCE . . . . .

Pioneer_SA_505.png

https://image.ibb.co/mFGWLx/Pioneer_SA_505.png

73's de Edd

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The circuit should turn on the output when it has settled to its working condition which is close to zero relative to the chassis.
Measure voltage between TP2 and chassis (left), also TP3 and chassis (right).

tooter

Feb 17, 2018
Sir tooter . . . . .

Here is a condensing of the whole schematic to only your particular areas of interest.
Initially find your relay that was tested and then follow the yellow brick road . . . . . .errr . . . . RED arrow path, back to its dedicated power supply source.

Apply the AC power to the unit with the POWER switch .
We want the DC reading there across the + to - of the YELLOW boxed C206 supply capacitor and then switch to DVM metering function to AC mode and see what the AC ripple level is being there also.

Replace C206 and expect the unit to now power up the speakers.

Then re take those DC and AC ripple readings with the new capacitor.

Feed back your findings . . . . .

Hi thanks im struggling with the meaning of ripple readings. So i went ahead and swapped the cap and its still dont activate the relay although it tries it clicks on very briefly as soon as i turn it on then releases and tries again but it like its not strong enough to pull it in so i re measured the voltage across the relay coil and i got 10v this time and 18 before the R414 resistor so the voltage has risen but not enough it seems. sorry i couldnt take the measurements you require.

MINI-SCHEMATIC REFERENCE . . . . .

Pioneer_SA_505.png

https://image.ibb.co/mFGWLx/Pioneer_SA_505.png

73's de Edd

tooter

Feb 17, 2018
The circuit should turn on the output when it has settled to its working condition which is close to zero relative to the chassis.
Measure voltage between TP2 and chassis (left), also TP3 and chassis (right).
hi the reading across TP2 & TP3 is 9.9mv

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I did not ask for the reading across TP2 and TP3.