Maker Pro
Maker Pro

same cells. different current. problem?

roxygurl

Jan 31, 2013
hey everyone. first post in the forum. i hope you all can help me with my problem <3

ive always been interested in electronics. but heres a problem i just cant find a solution to

so i own a pair of Logitech s315i rechargable portable speakers. the battery recently wont hold a charge, i am leaving the country in the next week and i need to find a replacement. today i went to a battery store and i was told they need to order in the cells and make a battery pack for it which will take 1-2 weeks and i dont have time for that.

so that got me thinking. i have some rechargable AA batteries sitting around. the cells in the battery pack look the exact same size as AA batteries and they are 1.2V each and both NiMH. the battery pack cells are 1800mA but the AA batteries i have are 1200mA

clearly the wont last as long due to the lower amperage, although the battery store strongly advised me not to make my own battery pack (3 batteries spot welded in series shrink wrapped) but i just cant see why this could be a bad idea. so i asked you guys

bonus question: i have a lot of these NiMH AA sitting around and theres lots of space in the rechargable speakers so what if i make 2 battery packs and hook them up in parallel?

i appreciate any info

thank you

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
We don't know where you're at. A lot of places where I am will make-up a battery pack for me in a day.
You have standard sized AA batteries. There must be some electronics store in town
that has an equivalent battery pack on the shelf, made for some other device.
If you're desperate, your ideas will work, you won't have as long will lower amperage rated batteries. Yes, two packs in parallel will give you longer run-time, the device will only draw the amperage it needs.
I'd really try to find an already made battery pack, but that's me.

roxygurl

Jan 31, 2013
We don't know where you're at. A lot of places where I am will make-up a battery pack for me in a day.
You have standard sized AA batteries. There must be some electronics store in town
that has an equivalent battery pack on the shelf, made for some other device.
If you're desperate, your ideas will work, you won't have as long will lower amperage rated batteries. Yes, two packs in parallel will give you longer run-time, the device will only draw the amperage it needs.
I'd really try to find an already made battery pack, but that's me.

i appreciate your reply. my only concern with multiple battery packs is just charging as they will be consuming more current.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
i appreciate your reply. my only concern with multiple battery packs is just charging as they will be consuming more current.

They will take longer to charge, the power cable (Im assuming) is a set voltage and current, so it will charge at a set rate, increasing the capacity from 1800mAh to 2400mAh will increase the charge time by 1/3rd (if it normally takes 6 hours to charge, it will now take 8, approx.)

As long as the voltage stays correct then you should be fine since it should be built to draw a certain amount of current regardless of the battery, be wary though, the capacity of your pack will be determined by the lowest capacity battery, so if one has been used more than the others and has a lower capacity than the other ones it may not charge right and you will have diminished run time.