Maker Pro
Maker Pro

saturated operational amplifier

teragiga

Jan 27, 2011
Hi all!
This is my first post so, sorry if I would not be proficient in discussing electronics :)

I am stuck in a practical experiment, I studied how amplifier for obtaining gain work. And I created a small circuit with an astable multivibrator, and operational, 2 resistors, two batteries of 9v:
Something like this:
circuitgain.jpg

Where the settings are :
non inverting input.
Rf = 300 K, Rg=150K
And the expected gain should be : Av= 1 + Rf/Rg = 3.
Doing a simulation I obtain something like this
gain.jpg

Where the output in volts of the operational is effectively augmented.
But when I build the real circuit it doesn't happen:
The oscillator generates a square wave that I can detect with
oscilloscope and even with a tester (between -4.80v +4.80v ), the output of the amplifier is instead stuck to 7.8v.
I have done this with a LM741, and also using a LM386 (one with
single supply) and nothing.
The crazy thing is that I obtain constant 7.8 v independently from the value of the feedback resistors (like they don't matter) and even if I completely disconnect the input.
So, it is like if whatever I do with this configuration
146px-Operational_amplifier_noninverting.svg.png

the amplifier saturates to 7.8v and end of the story.
I also tried the inverting input configuration and nothing.
Where is the mistake ? Or I completely miss something in what "gain" means ?

Last edited:

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
In any normal op amp circuit with dual power supplies, the '+' input to the op amp is grounded. The input signal is fed through a resistor to the '-' input along with the output signal through a feedback resistor. The op amp works to keep the voltage difference between its inputs equal to zero. The 741 is protected against latch up so that would not likely explain the observed behavior. But in your unconventional configuration it is difficult to imagine what is going on.

neon

Oct 21, 2006
You cannot drive an amplifier direct like the schematic shows try a 100 k on the positive side No wander it saturate. the gain is low enough not to saturate. 300k x150k/450 k=100k . i hope you know how to calculate the gain right?