Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple relay hack - but noise from long cable run

c64

Oct 11, 2018
I am trying to remotely trigger a gate release, by wiring a relay across the gate release switch. The controlling relay is located downstairs and I have hijacked some of the existing unused house (unshielded multicore bell) cabling, so the cable run is about 15m. I think I am getting a lot of (induced?) noise from the length of the cable run and neighbouring wires, so the gate release triggers intermittently. I guess the solution is to place a 2nd relay inside the intercom, but I wondered if there was a simpler solution? Thanks!

IMG_0496.jpg IMG_0497.jpg

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Wire it this way:
upload_2021-9-3_13-45-24.png
The relay coil is comparatively insensitive to noise on the lines leading to the coil.

Reactions: c64

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
The circuit you've drawn doesn't look correct.
According to that, the switch (missing reference designator) short the relay coil - so that you probably ending up burning the internal circuit.

A relay is not sensitive to normal noise.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
According to that, the switch (missing reference designator) short the relay coil
The switch/pushbutton seems to be in parallel to the relay contacts, not the coil. It isn't shown where and how the coil is connected.

c64

Oct 11, 2018
Wire it this way:
View attachment 52815
The relay coil is comparatively insensitive to noise on the lines leading to the coil.

The relay is part of an automation system so I cannot move it. But I think you are suggesting the best solution is to use a relay closer to the pushbutton. Many thanks.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
If this is carrying running power . . .STOOPID SITUATION . . . . . and the ensuing wire resistance then would be of consideration.
Just a thought . . . . . of the resistance of the wires consideration.
I can see an unused :
Black-White twisted pair
Blue-White twisted pair
Brown-White twisted pair

Join the BLACK-BLUE-BROWN to the presently wired in GREEN wire connection.
Join all of the WHITES for the presently wired in White wire connection .