Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solder pins to small holes on my TM1637 4-digit display

ArgonautQuest

May 6, 2020
I just purchased a 4-digit, 7-segment LED display as shown in this tutorial, which is compatible with the Arduino library TM1637.h. But I'm having trouble with the 4 pins that insert into the 4 holes on the side of the display. I tried soldering them into the holes but accidentally caused a short because the solder spread across 2 of the holes, causing it to stop working. In fact, I couldn't even find the COM port when that happened, probably because of a short. :eek:

I started over with a fresh display that isn't soldered and when hold the pins in the exact right way, all the connections are established and it works just fine. But I have to sit here and hold it just right. So, how do I go about soldering this so that all the connections stay in place? The holes are very small and close together and It seems almost impossible to get it just right. What am I missing here?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
So, how do I go about soldering this so that all the connections stay in place? The holes are very small and close together and It seems almost impossible to get it just right. What am I missing here?

Practice and experience and probably a soldering iron with the correct size tip.

Frankchie

Nov 14, 2017
Shouldn't be that hard, those pins are not really that close together. If you accidentally bridge two pins with solder just remelt the solder and simply drag the soldering iron tip across the solder bridge. Cleaning and rewetting the tip with fresh solder may help, assuming you are using a flux cored solder.

Of course you should be using a small tip soldering iron, say 1/8 inch.

Take a look at some Youtube soldering videos. You must be doing something wrong, because that size spacing isn't really that small.

Frank.

ArgonautQuest

May 6, 2020
Ah thanks for the tips (pun intended)! I knew it had to be user error but wasn't sure if there was some other way to get those pins to stay in the holes. I'll watch some videos and maybe get a smaller tip.
Thanks!

ArgonautQuest

May 6, 2020
I also just noticed that I soldered my 90-degree header pins opposite the way shown in the image below. I was poking them up from the bottom side and soldering the top side. I wonder if that matters. Is there a right and wrong side for situations like this? Upon inspection, it appears there is no difference.
TM1637-LED-Display-Module-For-Arduino.jpg

Frankchie

Nov 14, 2017
No electrical difference provided that you are able to make a good solder connection.

As you may have discovered soldering from the wrong side can be very difficult or impossible because there may not be a copper circuit pad on the wrong side. In case of a single sided circuit board there is probably nothing at-all for the solder to adhere to.