Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solenoid alternative

alice.o

Jan 16, 2024
Hi, I'm doing a project and I'm using a push solenoid but I'm going to need a pretty big stroke (around 20mm at least), and if possible for it to have a lower voltage. I need the solenoid to move my component backwards and forwards through a distance of 20mm ish, if anyone knows of any alternative parts or any good solenoids that will work, please let me know, it will be greatly appreciated, thank you so much.

Last edited:

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Not enough info--
How much force is needed to move the "component".
How fast does it need to be moved?

alice.o

Jan 16, 2024
Not enough info--
How much force is needed to move the "component".
How fast does it need to be moved?
Only a small force is needed, I'm not too sure of an exact figure (sorry) but I would only say a couple newtons (it's only moving around 40 grams of plywood) and speed is not too important but if it could move fast (like as instant as a solenoid) it would be helpful but it's not an important factor. sorry for the lack of detail I can try find some numbers.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Any solenoid can be attached to a simple lever mechanism to increase the pull (or throw) distance. Of course, the net resulting 'pull power' will reduce as a function of the leverage 'division ratio'.

i.e a pull of 1Nm and a leverage ratio of 1:4 reduces the pulling power to 0.25Nm.

Might be easier to use a motor with wheel-driven shaft.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I'm going to need a pretty big stroke (around 20mm at least), and if possible for it to have a lower voltage
I know you looking for alternatives, but we still need to know what supply voltage you wish.
The DC 12V 10A 20mm Stroke Pull Push Type Linear Solenoid Electromagnet, which is available on various platforms such as eBay and Newegg. The LHS0800001 Push-pull type solenoid from Solenoid Ninja, which provides a 20mm stroke and operates at 24V DC.