Maker Pro
Maker Pro

spark gap no semi conductor transistor

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
sgt.png

So I just thought of the fact that spark gap oscillators dump the whole capacitor only when the very tip of the capacitor has exceeded the voltage distance, and then the rest of the capacitor follows suit.

So doesnt that mean u could initiate a collecter and emitter with a high voltage base across the spark gap?

You could think when it turns on it stays on forever, but this isnt true either, because that would cause a spark gap oscillator to stop oscillating straight away as well.

So im going to try this NEXT! I dont have a problem with transistors, except for the fact I didnt know how to fab them, but if this works, now I do! So maybe im going to move onto switching and get away from these horrible capacitors I was forcing myself to use.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Take a look at how flash tubes work? They can have a trigger electrode.
But, you know, maybe if you put this in an evacuated chamber, tube of some sort, and chose one end to actively promote loss of electrons, maybe control the flow with another electrode... :)
Enjoy

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Take a look at how flash tubes work? They can have a trigger electrode.
But, you know, maybe if you put this in an evacuated chamber, tube of some sort, and chose one end to actively promote loss of electrons, maybe control the flow with another electrode... :)
Enjoy

:):)

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
You could think when it turns on it stays on forever, but this isnt true either, because that would cause a spark gap oscillator to stop oscillating straight away as well.
I don't actually know the conditions for an arc to quench. I'd guess some simultaneous combination of voltage and current that means the plasma adequately dissipates.
In some breakers, you just blow away the plasma with a blast of air so the conductive path is not there. That mechanism might be a little slow for you.
I suspect that at least some spark gap oscillators might be resonant, so the voltages & currents do cyclical things. Might be some utility in that for you.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Well I can test it out anytime now, because I've got my high voltage supply going, Ill get back to you what happens, I just have to get the guts to do it, If I use it in combination with capacitors they could quench it when they finish charging or discharging.