Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Speaker/s project - for amplifier.

kr236rk

Aug 3, 2021
Hi,

Am hopeless at electronics - help please!

I want to remove a passive 10" speaker from a heavy cabinet & put it into a lighter one. I have the amplifier I need.

But the big speaker has a 'tweeter' attached to it, useless for a guitar speaker - I'd need to disconnect that. But doing that would break the circuit?

I cannot read electronic diagrams. I can solder, when the wind is in the right direction.

Any help with this project very welcome!

Many thanks

Ric

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
A 10" woofer with the physical tweeter produces most sound frequencies. The woofer produces low frequencies and the tweeter produces high frequencies. The woofer by itself might not produce the high frequencies from a guitar. Try it first before removing the tweeter.

Do you know that a speaker enclosure must be solid enough that its walls do not vibrate for it to produce bass?
If the enclosure is too small then a speaker sounds boomy like a bongo drum.

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
Your tweeter is 98.44% sure to be in parallel ... just cut the leads to it.
Your 10" driver may have a bit of difficulty as it is not necessarily voiced for the task as guitar speakers are. That said, I've done similar and it worked out well enough at the time.
Option B is to use it as is. Yes, I know tweeters on a guitar sound like Kentucky fried but nuggets, but with hearing protection, high volume and all the distortion your can feed it, you can make the tweeter get rid of itself with a few good artificial harmonics while entering negotiations with your inner twelve year old.

Last edited:

kr236rk

Aug 3, 2021
A 10" woofer with the physical tweeter produces most sound frequencies. The woofer produces low frequencies and the tweeter produces high frequencies. The woofer by itself might not produce the high frequencies from a guitar. Try it first before removing the tweeter.

Do you know that a speaker enclosure must be solid enough that its walls do not vibrate for it to produce bass?
If the enclosure is too small then a speaker sounds boomy like a bongo drum.

Thanks, it will be a project, an experiment - I will be correcting as I go ;)

kr236rk

Aug 3, 2021
Your tweeter is 98.44% sure to be in parallel ... just cut the leads to it.
Your 10" driver may have a bit of difficulty as it is not necessarily voiced for the task as guitar speakers are. That said, I've done similar and it worked out well enough at the time.

Thanks. Right. 1st thing I need to do is take one of the two monitors to bits, remove the speaker, tweeter, & all wiring.

Obviously I want to keep the jack socket wiring all in one piece.

Hopefully, the tweeter connection bit will be easy to identify then snip out.

Then it's suck it & see - I want the lightest cabinet I can make.

I know about weight = good sound, but there's nothing stopping me building a lightweight cabinet that can have ballast added to it &/or heavy panels bolted onto it, at a later stage.

It's all about portability.

This has been practicable with the arrival of Tiny Terror amps by Orange - you can literally lift them with one finger.

:cool:

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
I'm well aware of the tiny terrors. Probably one of the best things to happen since the 12AX7.
ballast won't help a weak cabinet. it's the panel flex that wrecks your sound. Focus on that as you build.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
A woofer + tweeter speaker is designed to ,play low distortion music. The severe distortion used for an electric guitar will overload the tweeter and maybe destroy it. The tweeter will have a capacitor feeding it. Cut a wire on the capacitor to stop the tweeter from playing high frequencies.

kr236rk

Aug 3, 2021
A woofer + tweeter speaker is designed to ,play low distortion music. The severe distortion used for an electric guitar will overload the tweeter and maybe destroy it. The tweeter will have a capacitor feeding it. Cut a wire on the capacitor to stop the tweeter from playing high frequencies.
Thanks, I'll post a picture here of what I find after I have carefully extricated everything from the old cab.

kr236rk

Aug 3, 2021
Thanks, I'll post a picture here of what I find after I have carefully extricated everything from the old cab.
Managed to extricate all the bits & bobs from the cab :)

So far, so good

Left to Right are: tweeter, jack socket panel (reverse of), capacitor, speaker.

Attachments

• pulse-project-1b.jpg
    pulse-project-1b.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 7

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The circuit board has an inductor in series with the woofer to keep high frequencies away from it and has a capacitor in series with the tweeter to keep low frequencies away from it. The tweeter looks like a piezo or a mid-frequency horn.

kr236rk

Aug 3, 2021
Thank you :)

Can I disconnect the tweeter from the main speaker please?

Attachments

• circuit-board.jpg
    circuit-board.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
If you disconnect the tweeter then the inductor in series with the woofer will cut high audio frequencies. If you replace the inductor with a piece of wire then the woofer still might not play enough high frequencies.

kr236rk

Aug 3, 2021
Thanks, so what must I do to be able to use the main speaker as a single speaker for my guitar amplifier please? For example, is there circuitry I can obtain to connect the speaker to, if the circuitry I already have is unsuitable for what I want?

What circuitry exists within a detached speaker cabinet that I am lacking - & where may I obtain it?

kr236rk

Aug 3, 2021
Thanks, so what must I do to be able to use the main speaker as a single speaker for my guitar amplifier please? For example, is there circuitry I can obtain to connect the speaker to, if the circuitry I already have is unsuitable for what I want?

What circuitry exists within a detached speaker cabinet that I am lacking - & where may I obtain it?
Or maybe lose the tweeter + associated circuitry altogether & just do this?

Attachments

• wiring a speaker.jpg
    wiring a speaker.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 3

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Your 10" speaker is a woofer that probably does not produce mid and high audio frequencies that are produced by the tweeter.
1) Use the original tweeter.
2) Use another tweeter.
3) Try an audio equalizer circuit feeding the amplifier.