Maker Pro
Maker Pro

thin, smallest electric motor

Just4lol

Feb 6, 2023
Hello,

I have a project idea for something wearable and part of it would need to spin and I need it to be as thin as possible. I have a lot to learn about electronics.

In a nutshell, I just want to make something spin like a watch, and as light as a watch wand, without the "watch logic".

My first idea was to look for watch motors and see how they worked and if I could buy some and do some testing with them. I saw that they were called lavet-type stepping motors but to my surprise, it does not look like I can buy them online...

So besides me going to a dollar store and finding cheap watches I could rip apart and see if I can make something out of them, do you have any other ideas?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The controller you'll have to make would be many times larger than the motor.
No good thinking along your current lines as it would all be encased within a microcontroller with little chance of "tapping in".
Simplist and smallest would be the small dc vibrator motors out of phones or tail rotor motors on micro size $20 helicopters.
Thin not possible, perhaps rethink around what is available instead of "Flash Gordon" devices.