Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB-C -> barrel connector

tanzanina

Dec 30, 2023
With everything seemingly switching to USB-C now I began to hunt for a new battery charger (Powerex MH-C9000) after the power brick's cable began to fray. Silly as it may seem, I am trying to unify all of my electronic devices to the USB-C standard, so this seemed like a good opportunity.

plugFray.png
plugDetails.png

On searching for a replacement power brick I came across a USB-C -> barrel connector, something that I had never seen before !

The plug is a standard DC 12V 2A positive polarity and wanted to know if the following would be a suitable replacement: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSD-TECH-M...+usbc+to+barrel+connector,aps,365&sr=8-2&th=1

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
In the link you posted there's bi-directional hand shaking going on, a true type C charger recognizes the connected device and negotiates the required power to charge it as quickly as possible.
This negotiation is done Via data lines and ensures a quick charge without delivering too much power or damaging the device's circuits.
A word of caution: Devices that charge with higher wattage also require special cables that can transport high currents; otherwise, there is a risk of cable fire.

tanzanina

Dec 30, 2023
This is the model of charger that I have, it is old so there will be no hand-shake, thus it will need to figure it out for itself:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
wanted to know if the following would be a suitable replacement:
No. Your charger requires 12 V. USB is 5 V.

A USB-PD source starts with 5 V and will raise the output voltage only after negotiation with the load (as noted before by Delta Prime). Your charger can't negotiate with the USB-PD source as it lacks the required data lines. Therefore the USB-PD source will stay at 5 V and your charger will not work.

tanzanina

Dec 30, 2023
Good points, I am contacting the manufacturer to see as they have purchased the cable and shall test.

It seems like the perfect appliance for it to be paired with.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Apparently there are cables with the handshake feature built in !
Not standard USB-C cables.
There are cables with chips that support this handshaking. And others that don't. But the manufacturer of the cable can't know how the cable is being used and therefore can't let the cable do the handshaking.

An example: Suppose the cable were able to negotiate a 12 V voltage (instead of the typical 5 V used on classic USB). Now use this cable to charge an older smartphone, tablet or whatever that was designed to the 5 V standard. Now this device would be supplied by 12 V (because the cable is agnostic of the device's requirements) and would immediately be destroyed.
Not a good idea.

However, the cable you link to is different as it does not have a USB-C output. Therefore this risk decribed above is irrelevant for this cable (no smartphone I know has a barrel connector). Therefore this cable may work in your application provided:
  1. the charger doesn't need more than 3 A
  2. you have a PD-capable USB-C power supply. Not every power supply with USB-C connector is capable of power delivery (PD) acc. to the USB-PD standard.
I beg to excuse that I hadn't recognized this from the beginning, so my post #5 is not completely correct concerning this exact cable.