Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vibration in Electrical Components

electric101

Apr 21, 2011
Hello all,

I have purchased and modified a RFID transponder to work with a motorcycle ignition.

The RFID modification consists of a latch board that "piggy backs" the RFID module. It contains IC's, resistors, diodes and capacitors. I have hand made this on a prototype board; everything soldered together.

The question is this: Since this is being mounted on a motorcycle and the chassis/bike has very little suspension; do you think vibration will damage the smaller electrical components? I am worried about sudden damage, not damage over time. IE: Hit a large bump and this causes a component to break. The solder joints are heavy duty but I suspect this is the weakest part of the board??? No??

Thanks!

electric101

Apr 21, 2011
ANSWER

Hello all,

I have purchased and modified a RFID transponder to work with a motorcycle ignition.

The RFID modification consists of a latch board that "piggy backs" the RFID module. It contains IC's, resistors, diodes and capacitors. I have hand made this on a prototype board; everything soldered together.

The question is this: Since this is being mounted on a motorcycle and the chassis/bike has very little suspension; do you think vibration will damage the smaller electrical components? I am worried about sudden damage, not damage over time. IE: Hit a large bump and this causes a component to break. The solder joints are heavy duty but I suspect this is the weakest part of the board??? No??

Thanks!

Well, I'll answer my own question, look at that.

I have found out since the board I put together is made of solid state components, vibration/shock plays no role in the operation of these type of electronics.

FYI for the people who were wondering....if there were any

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If you find a need later, after some miles on the road, you can consider using one of
the 'potting' kits, To 'pot' the circuit board, and prevent vibration problems (like they do
with a lot of voltage regulator modules these days).

electric101

Apr 21, 2011
Thank you for that info! I didn't know it was called "potting" but have noticed the ECM and Regulator/Rectifier are encased in a "hard gel" material. Awesome, will look into this....just because it sounds fun! :) Thanks again!

Wintermut3

Apr 25, 2011
The actual components themselves should stand up pretty well... solder connections, however, may be a different story. I find that things I solder tend to be a little more brittle than commercially-made circuits where the connections are concerned.