Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Waterproofing A Remote Control

Nicolas Chalhoub

Jan 23, 2015
Dear all,
I have a client that own a jacuzzi, he wants to control his pumps wirelessly, I have a transmitter and receiver (4 channels) and I want to make the remote control waterproof because when he will be using this remote, he will be in the water. Any ideas how to make such device waterproof all with maintaining the functionality of the emitter inside the remote and keeping the switches functional.

Appreciate your prompt replies.

Attachments

• cb5ba9df-9af2-4634-9c63-8ac012af4c27.jpg
    cb5ba9df-9af2-4634-9c63-8ac012af4c27.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 135

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
One option would be to get him to fill his jacuzzi with isopropyl alcohol. A less flammable option might be carbon tetrafluoride or even freon.

Sealing is not really easy, especially if you want to be able to replace the batteries.

One option would be to use sealed switches and wireless charging, and pot the whole thing in something with really good sealing properties.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Jacuzzis and the like use "air switches".

A button on the bath pushes air down a plastic tube to a receiver diaphragm located yonks away from the tub, which in turn operates a micro switch or whatever and these can also be supplied with isolated low voltage.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Nicolas Chalhoub . . . . .

In my situation,I am having my electronics remotes, that I prefer to keep the cases oin pristine condition, plus no finger dragging is obscuring / erasing the markings of frequently used numbers or lettering.

There is clear plastic shrink wrap made to use in making temporary sheet plastic storm door or window covers in the winter.

What I have been doing at least the last 25 years is cutting a piece of that materiel a bit larger than the remote hand unit with the materiel folding around the end that has the IR transmitters.
I then use a bag sealer on one corner to seal and seam the side that receives the long side of the remote.
Then the remote gets dropped in that constructed corner with one side of the remote up against that seam .
The front of the remote gets to face that rounded wrap of the plastic.
That positioning will THEN let you mark off an extra ~2CM width ( shrinkage loss) at the other side and at the rear of the unit.
You then heat seal the left side of the bag.
Next, have your remote tested and having a fresh battery, the remote then drops down into your then created
" glove" with its front resting against the unseamed front of the plastic, the rear of the remote then gets heat sealed and Mamma Cass's blow drier, then comes out to shrink wrap the shrink plastic to fit.
Once you have made a set or two you become a master.
Over the years I have had this repel a spilt milk and at least two orange juices, and a knocking into sink water.
And to thinK I was just wanting to keep the faces looking good and buttons / insides free of food contamination.

One caveat is the seams, which I dont have to worry about, since many nichrome wire bag sealers use a round wire, while mine uses a 1/16 in wide nichrome band so I get a much wider heat seal area.
If using a wire unit, examine seams closely and back up sealing integrity , if needed, with a fine seam of silicone rubber or my current favorite is the, clear E6000 sealant or clear Hard as Nails fingernail top coat applies neatly and is flexible.
I flawlessly get a years use, and 2 or 3 on random used units. Just having to re do in order to replace weak batteries.

IN that persons case you might want to additionally make a rectangular Life Raft of the big cellular poly-ETHYLENE tubing that surrounds the cold lines of air conditioning tubing or hot water heater pipes.
Or the long cellular sphagetti / tubing kids pool toys .
The remote gets tethered flat in the center it should then right and float itself if dropped in the tub.

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Did you check with the manufacturer, to see if they make a 'waterproof' version of that remote?
That way there's a warranty on it.