Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Energy Monitoring (Formulas and methods help)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I'm with you, but: That's comparatively slow and you will not be able to detect fast events like flicker, voltage dips etc.

Yes Harald your right. I was guessing he wouldn't want to worry about this sort of thing. Maybe he does?
Adam

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Not a bad decision. Follow the application notes and get something started. There's always time to refine later one you've gotten the gist of it.
Ensure potential isolation and take all necessary safety precautions to avoid electrical shock.
Of course ;)
I do plan on using shunts though, which will mean isolation after the dedicated IC. (Most likely on the data lines.)
Yes Harald your right. I was guessing he wouldn't want to worry about this sort of thing. Maybe he does?
Adam
I do ;)
I'd be fine with some inaccuracy in the readings, just so long as it's reasonable for my application. I'd easily settle for an accuracy of high 90s . Of course the more accurate the better, but I won't be going to extra effort to ensure it's any closer than I need it. At least for the first iteration.
The most important thing for me to monitor is voltage, but I am building it as an energy meter because why not? If it's going to be plugged in, I might as well monitor the line voltage and my energy usage at the same time.
The power to my home has gone out 3 times over the weekend for 2-3 seconds at a time, and has a slight brownout at least every day. The utility company isn't looking into it, but it bothers me, so I'll be collecting data. If the events occur on any kind of cycle, it may encourage them to take a look into what it may be.
The energy monitoring portion will simply give me additional info about the power usage of the computer equipment I use which will help me make adjustments to run a little leaner.

I don't have a circuit diagram yet, but will be sharing when I do.
Thank you for your feedback everyone.