Maker Pro
Maker Pro

"extending" An LCD screen

Davie

Apr 9, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have a laptop motherboard in a project case.

I want to mount the screen also and have it detachable.

The plan was to cut both cables
Fit two VGA female jack sockets to the case - solder the cut cable to it with the exisiting LCD plug still going to the motherboard.
Fit two males to the exposed cables of the LCD which will plug into the females on the case.

I hope thats explaining it - picture below.

THE ONLY QUESTION - will this work? :D
thew only problem is one cable looks like its a flat ribbon type but havent looked further (Lenovo T420S)

-thanks for any advice,

Davie.

Attachments

• lcd1.png
    lcd1.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 147

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have a laptop motherboard in a project case.

I want to mount the screen also and have it detachable.

The plan was to cut both cables
Fit two VGA female jack sockets to the case - solder the cut cable to it with the exisiting LCD plug still going to the motherboard.
Fit two males to the exposed cables of the LCD which will plug into the females on the case.

I hope thats explaining it - picture below.

THE ONLY QUESTION - will this work? :D
thew only problem is one cable looks like its a flat ribbon type but havent looked further (Lenovo T420S)

-thanks for any advice,

Davie.

You have two things to worry about... That flat ribbon cable typically has a large number of conductors...
Count them and make sure you can account for them all.
Additionally, you may have to re-locate the two WiFi antenna typically mounted in the top corners. I do not recommend extending these wires, as they use very small coaxial wire.
Lastly... the backlight...
If it's a fluorescent tube backlight, the wires (usually bright pink or blue) will be carrying a much higher than expected voltage. This voltage is usually generated with a small board inside the 'flip-up' portion of the screen. confirm this, because extending those HV wires should be avoided... Extend the lower voltage wires to the board that generates this voltage if possible.

Oh... and I forgot about the webcam wires XD
Typically power, ground, and a pair of signal wires. They are usually just USB devices that are internally wired.

Best of luck! And try to run the power wire extensions separately from the signal wires if you can

Davie

Apr 9, 2016
Thanks so much for this Gryd3 -

Im going to scrap the wifi , its not needed as the motherboard is mounted in a hollowed out atari 2800 and will eventually be a mame/retro/rom player.

I will make sure I follow your advice on the higher voltage wiring/conductors - I do plan to extend from the plug end that goes to motherboard.

Webcam - nah that can go too! :) and I do believe the two cables leaving the LCD , the left side is signal and right is power (including leds for BT , WIFI, HDD etc) So I should be OK there.

Ill circle back with a photo when and If I make it happen.

Thanks so much again - if nothing else you never said it couldn't be done so that's enough to push on.

Davie.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks so much for this Gryd3 -

Im going to scrap the wifi , its not needed as the motherboard is mounted in a hollowed out atari 2800 and will eventually be a mame/retro/rom player.

I will make sure I follow your advice on the higher voltage wiring/conductors - I do plan to extend from the plug end that goes to motherboard.

Webcam - nah that can go too! :) and I do believe the two cables leaving the LCD , the left side is signal and right is power (including leds for BT , WIFI, HDD etc) So I should be OK there.

Ill circle back with a photo when and If I make it happen.

Thanks so much again - if nothing else you never said it couldn't be done so that's enough to push on.

Davie.
I would advise against scrapping WiFi... honestly, It's as easy as taking off the front bezel of the LCD, removing the screw that holds each antenna and un-threading the coaxial wire out... Once free, you simply cram the antenna back into whatever case you want... You may not need it, but it's free, why toss it if you could eventually make use of it... (Say... for remote administrations, or for remotely copying files to the device.)
Best of luck, and have fun ^^