Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with repairing a gate

RolfeEP

Nov 22, 2011
This morning, the remote for my gate did not want to open the gate.
I tried using another gate opener, but this other remote did not open the gate either.
I tried opening up the motor to see if there was anything I could adjust, but I'm not sure where to begin or what to look for.

Does it need new batteries? Do dead spiders mess up the circuitry? Is moisture from the weather to blame?
There must be something wrong with the motor. How should I handle this?

Attachments

• IMG_5520.JPG
    IMG_5520.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 37

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
The circuit board hanging out the front is a little suspicious.
Remember, anything may have dangerous voltage on it at any stage.
Is it not powered, or maybe powered, but stuck?
When you stand by the gate and use the remote, do you hear anything? That is, does it try to move?
That is, check that power is available?
Is there a fuse or breaker for this? If so, you could check it. If the breaker is out, then the unit may have a fault that caused the breaker/fuse to shut it off.
There seem to be power sockets on the device. If the sockets are standard for your area, you could see if they are live, by seeing if something normal will run from them?
If no power, look backwards, why there is not power. Breaker/fuse.
If power and not moving, you are looking for why it is not getting to the motor.
If power and trying to move, you are looking for why it can't move.

RolfeEP

Nov 22, 2011
I should have mentioned earlier, you can see what looks like a light switch.
When I press the button on the gate opener, especially when I stand next to the motor, I can hear a click.
If I flip that light switch, and try hitting the gate opener again, no click.
That must mean the power is working fine.

I also neglected to mention, that maybe it might need lubrication.
You open this gate manually by pushing down that pedal. It unlocks the gate and you can move it freely.
I should probably cut the duct tape and try it. It has to at least be able to move manually.

RolfeEP

Nov 22, 2011
Okay, well it opens manually.
A little heavy, but it moves.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
OMG........:eek:

You don't seriously expect this thing to keep working do you?

I can spot at least a dozen fault areas......get an electrician ......and a box to sit over the top (at least)

Nisar-von-Voltenbräackter

May 23, 2018
I should have mentioned earlier, you can see what looks like a light switch.
When I press the button on the gate opener, especially when I stand next to the motor, I can hear a click.
If I flip that light switch, and try hitting the gate opener again, no click.
That must mean the power is working fine.

I also neglected to mention, that maybe it might need lubrication.
You open this gate manually by pushing down that pedal. It unlocks the gate and you can move it freely.
I should probably cut the duct tape and try it. It has to at least be able to move manually.

The presence of a lowly click sounds like a switch problem.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
If the problem is not purely mechanical, as you suggest, seized, lubricant &c.
Then,..
If your unit is as in the image, exposed to the weather, the motor seems as if it gets a hard time.
Also, motors often need other adjacent components to start up, such as capacitors, which are prone to fail with time. Depending on the motor type, what the motor needs and what these compoents do varies somewhat.
It might be time to call that electrician, or gate service guy, who knows about this model.

RolfeEP

Nov 22, 2011
No the motor is not always exposed to the elements. It has a cover. I just removed it for the purposes of this topic.
I've been opening my gate manually and have gotten used to it.

I did not know that capacitors will fail with time, so I wouldn't know how to handle them. With that said, the right thing to do is to stop and just call an electrician as you suggested.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Try pushing in that red thermal reset button on top of the motor, and yes call an electrician to at least fix the conduit with exposed conductors. (missing box connector fitting)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
This may just be me, but the first thing I'd do is put a load on the battery, and check the voltage.
Everything you described (motor won't open the gate, but the relays 'click'), would indicate a low battery.
Something may be broken, but I'd do the battery check before I tore into the circuitry.
Good luck.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
This may just be me, but the first thing I'd do is put a load on the battery, and check the voltage.
Everything you described (motor won't open the gate, but the relays 'click'), would indicate a low battery.
Something may be broken, but I'd do the battery check before I tore into the circuitry.
Good luck.
Motor is powered by building branch circuit (I assume 120v) through the conduit on the bottom. I doubt there even is a battery.

Likely the gate jammed and tripped the motor overload (red button on top) or, there's a fuse for the motor that poped.