Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for somebody to create my project

pakora

Jun 9, 2012
Hi, just joined this forum looking for someone qualified enough to build an electronic device for me.

I want an electronic device that has 6 small led lights on it that will turn on at 6 different times that I specify. I would like there to be a way for me to program the different "alarm" times. If you feel that you can do this and it child play please e-mail me at [email protected] (pakoraman -at- gmail -dot- com) as I would love to get this project started asap. Thank you in advance, hope to meet you soon.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Sounds simple doesn't it?

Well... You haven't specified it very well, so it is hard to tell. When you say "turn on at different times" do you mean different times of day? If so, it has to be a clock. If not, time from when? Then it needs some way of telling you when setting the on times, so it has to have a display, or you have to be willing to decode the settings based on patterns of the 6 LEDs. It needs a couple of buttons, or do you expect it to plug into a USB port and have an interface on your PC? What is the power source? If a battery, long does it have to run, and does it need a recharable and built in charger? What kind of an enclosure is it in, or are you talking about a bare board? These are a few of the question you will have to answer before someone could agree to doing this.

And how much do you expect to pay for this? You do know that it will likely cost more than an iphone, for instance?\\

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Bob

Last edited:

pakora

Jun 9, 2012
I need 6 leds to turn on at different times like a clock

if i set 6 alarms 1am 2am 3am 4am 5am 6am

when it is 1am one led will turn on to let me know visually that it is 1am
USB interface would be fine as long as there is a user friendly software otherwise having buttons to set the alarm times would have to be used. I want to fit this unit inside of a tube the size of a highlighter or smaller, something I can carry with me. Doesnt necessarily have to be recharable, I was thinking one triple A battery which could be replaced from the store. Thanks for your reply and looking forward to hearing from you soon

I understand it won't be cheap this is for a project so I will have to spend $$$

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Bob[/QUOTE]

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Okay, here is my analysis of what you would need:

A single 1.5V battery cannot light an LED, you would need a boost converter or you would need to use 2 cells. A single 3V lithium battery might be a better solution, but the common ones are over 1/2 in in diameter which, I think, is bigger than what you are looking for.

You need a microcontroller and a crystal to keep time accurately.

You need 6 LEDs

You need a either a 4 digit display for setting the time and the alarms, and two or more buttons, alternatively, a USB connect so you can do this on your computer. You could do this without the display or USB if you could do with a clumsy interface reading out the settings on the 6 LEDs in binary.

To get this in a pen-sized case you are talking about a pc board that is less than 1 cm wide and 5 cm long.

There may be someone here who could do this, but it is beyond my ability.

Bob

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
As Bob stated what you want is beyond the ability of many hobbiest, it's a LOT to stuff into such a small size... I could probably design and build it but as Bob again pointed the level of design and engineering to get it all into the space you want will drive the cost through the roof as the labor hours tick away... USB will drive the price up again as it would require separate and additional software to be written...

Do you for example have a starting budget of say $500? And are you willing to ultimately spend upwards of $1000 or more to get a working prototype in your hand, and more money if there is to be revisions?

The design itself it straight forward, it's the fitment and size limitations that are going to drive the cost into the sky...