Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Make something move up and down with a push of a button

alice.o

Jan 16, 2024
Hi, for a design project I'm making a flower light thing where you can push a button and the 'petals' will move down to reveal the light in the centre and when you push it again the 'petals' go back up. So far I think i need a small reversible DC motor and hinges to connect the 'petals' to the rest of the design but I'm unsure how to make the circuit or any other components that would be needed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
The simplest would likely be a geared motor that rotates in a single direction with a simple crank and connecting rod that would move the petals up and down as the motor rotates (something like this).

You then have limit switches, such at this, to stop the motor at each end of the stroke.

1705453834146.png

An example circuit below uses two limit switches and a push-button switch to start the motor.

Sound feasible to you?

1705452918644.png

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@crutschow : imho your circut misses the part where the motor neds to reverse the direction - at least with the motor you linked to.
AS the motor rotates only in one direction, the setup needs to look like this:
1705475545840.png
The crank rotates in one direction only (clockwise in the diagram).
When the crank reaches the top switch, the motor turns off.
By pressing the pushbutton the motor starts, the crank leaves the top position and the limit switch TOP is closed again. The motor continues to run until the crank reaches the bottom position, activates the limit switch BOTTOM (switch is opened) and the motor stops.
Of course the switches need to be arranged mechanically such that the crank can pass them on its way. In my picture teh switches would block the path of the crank, this picture is meant only to indicate the relative position of the switches.

This mechanical setup can be used with the circuit diagram as proposed by @crutschow . No electronics necessary.
The details how the crank is linked mechanically to the petals is up to you.

ivak245

Jun 11, 2021
If you are not worried about the speed it operates at, you could use a spring loaded 12volt automotive solenoid, like the type that operates trunk (boot) mechanisms. It will be nearly instantaneous.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
imho your circut misses the part where the motor neds to reverse the direction
Don't follow your concern (?) as the reversal is provided by the crank and connecting rod.
It just keeps rotating in the same direction, making the connecting rod move up and down.
The limit switches would be positioned so that the rod or crank pin activates one at the top of the stroke, and one at the bottom.

alice.o

Jan 16, 2024
Thank you so so much for the help, only because this is for a school project and I want to get a couple more marks, do you think it would be possible to add in a sensor anywhere instead of a button so when it gets dark it will open up automatically?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Don't follow your concern
Seems I misinterpreted the picture on the website you linked to. To me it looked as if the motor had to turn left and right to make the crank move as required.
On closer inspection this motor does exactly what I sketched in my post.
Sorry to cause confusion. Entirely my fault.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
do you think it would be possible to add in a sensor anywhere instead of a button so when it gets dark it will open up automatically?
Yes, but it would require some additional electronics with a light sensor and some simple logic but since this is a school project,
I can help you, but can't do the work for you (unless you want me to get your school marks :)
You need to develop the basic design to do what you want, and show it to us.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
If you want to save some money, you could also use a salvaged windshield wiper motor, which can give a reciprocating output.

alice.o

Jan 16, 2024
The simplest would likely be a geared motor that rotates in a single direction with a simple crank and connecting rod that would move the petals up and down as the motor rotates (something like this).

You then have limit switches, such at this, to stop the motor at each end of the stroke.

View attachment 62470

An example circuit below uses two limit switches and a push-button switch to start the motor.

Sound feasible to you?

View attachment 62469
Hi, what program/ website did you use to make this picture of the circuit