Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Testing A TVS Diode

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Hi Guys,

Is it appropriate to test a TVS diode using a diode check, and simply testing both ways.

I have a smbj33 TVS Diode which is used between the +/- of a motor in a H-Bridge Circuit.

I'm getting 0.121V and 0.194V each way. :cool:

Thanks,
Ash

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Consider a TVS as a special kind of zener diode which is designed to absorb comparatively high energy pulses within a short time. Therefore:
  • yes, you can check the forward direction (conducting) with the diode check of a multimeter.
  • no, you can't check the backward direction completely. You can check that the TVS is not conducting at low voltages (therefore I'd say your measurement indicates a defec TVS). To check the breakdown voltage you need a higher voltage source with appropriate current limiting.
Did you check the diode in circuit? Remember to de-solder one leg for this kind of test, otherwise you will measure other circuit elements, too (e.g. the motor's resistance, the body diodes in MOSFET transistors etc.)

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Right, the TVS diode is SMT so I tested it in-ciruit.

It's also showing less than 200Ω one side and around 50Ω the other.
If i test a known good one, also in-circuit i get like 0.65MΩ each side.

So shall i continue to desolder with a hot-air gun.. and re-test?

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Okay, the low resistance is due to the faulty mosfets which were damaged during a fault, they have shorted.

I removed the TVS diode and tested using a diode check and got nothing, I tested resistance and got an infinite resistance.

I removed two known good TVS diodes and tested them.. i got the same thing.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
So shall i continue to desolder with a hot-air gun.. and re-test?
That's the most meaningful approach, although the comparative measurements youmade indicate that the low-Ω TVS is very probably defect.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
So the culprit is obviously the MOSFET, not the TVS.

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Is it too late to mention.. I was trying to find what caused the MOSFETS to short?

I had already tested two of the FETs and found they had shorted.. the cause of this is important.
I also tested several other components in the H-Bridge Circuit and found no faults.

I assumed the TVS diode was the cause of the fault, but didn't know how to test this.

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
So I've tested the TVS diode and two other known good ones, and have
the same measurements so how do I know if the diode is the faulty?

You mentioned testing the breakdown voltage of the diode with a high voltage source.. How would i setup this test?

I have access to power supplies e.t.c