Maker Pro
Maker Pro

GE Spacesaver am/fm cd player model 7-5290A Sept. 2001

Jimbmorris

Jul 18, 2014
THE RADIO WORKS BOTH am & fm, the clock works, but the cd player does not. Have removed screws from the top, 3 sides are loose, but the front is still tight and not releasing to open. If anyone has a quick fix for the cd player which does not require dis-assembly, I would appreciate some help. Lacking that, I need help about the dis-assembly. This was my wife's unit and I'm sure she knew how to use it, I haven't been able to be sure I'm on cd play, but I think I remember my wife had said it quit playing cd's. Other than my PC, this is the only thing I have in the house that (should) play cd's. I have made many electronics repairs in the past, but I've been out of it for a few years. It's definitely true, if you don't use it, you lose it. I've forgotten almost everything I knew, but I still have more test equipment than many repair shops. I'm 83 now, and I can tell you that the same goes for sex, too. (no use, you lose) Help, please .

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hey Jim
welcome to EP
I have moved your thread to the Electronics Repair section of the forum
That last bit made me giggle ;)
you are a couple of yrs younger than my dad :)

have you had a search on google for a service manual or at minimum a schematic ?
to what extent does the CD player not work ?. is it completely dead? or lights up but shows an error message, or some other status ?

OK found one on eBay for US$39,so at least now I know what it looks like :)
If you still have a multimeter, once opened up you could check a few voltages on what may look like the supply going to the CD section
we would need some internal photos to help you there (can you or a family member take some sharp and well lit pic's of the insides?)

with power off, check any fuses you can find ( these days, they are not always glass or ceramic tubes in a holder. look for F1, FS1 etc
let us all know how you get on with those suggestions for a start :)

cheers
Dave

Jimbmorris

Jul 18, 2014
Hey Jim
welcome to EP
I have moved your thread to the Electronics Repair section of the forum
That last bit made me giggle ;)
you are a couple of yrs younger than my dad :)

have you had a search on google for a service manual or at minimum a schematic ?
to what extent does the CD player not work ?. is it completely dead? or lights up but shows an error message, or some other status ?

OK found one on eBay for US$39,so at least now I know what it looks like :)
If you still have a multimeter, once opened up you could check a few voltages on what may look like the supply going to the CD section
we would need some internal photos to help you there (can you or a family member take some sharp and well lit pic's of the insides?)

with power off, check any fuses you can find ( these days, they are not always glass or ceramic tubes in a holder. look for F1, FS1 etc
let us all know how you get on with those suggestions for a start :)

cheers
Dave

Thank you very much Dave. You made several helpful suggestions. I'm slow getting back to you because I was sick last week. Took 2 antibiotics each day all week long and was feeling better. Then this morning, I have the sniffles again, that doesn't seem right. I'll see my doctor again tomorrow and see what she says. A service manual would be great, a schematic wouldn't do any good right now because I have not been able to separate the top from the bottom. I'm being careful not to force it. I keep looking and trying. I have removed all the screws I can find and 3 sides are loose. Something in the area of the CD mechanism, center, top, front area is not turning loose. I've checked the other side for screws, but can't see any. I have noticed that when I try to play a CD, the visual display initially shows CD and then in a few seconds, the display changes to ND. I'm sure this would be a clue for someone in the know. Another thing I have noticed is that when I press the play button, sometimes (?) the BASS light comes on. Did your Dad verify the very valuable information I passed on to you ? Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Jim

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK
sorry to hear about the poor health at the moment. yup get to the doc and sort it out quick :)

ND probably means No Disc
One reason for this would be that either a signal from the laser or a separate mechanism in the disc tray (maybe a microswitch) is not operating and the controller thinks there is no disc is in there.

Does the disc spin up at all ? if so does it stay spinning or does it stop when the ND message is shown ?

when I press the play button, sometimes (?) the BASS light comes on

not sure what that could be inferring ?

cheers
Dave

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
A "no disc" error will sometimes be generated as the laser LED weakens with age. On some players there will be a trimmer to adjust the power setting and you can adjust it.